Ten

❥ "𝐈 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝐁𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋."

That was one word to describe the feeling.

Even though he was dead, something about this felt planned, like he was in the room. I'd come to learn everything with Tobias Hawthorne was planned. He was always three steps ahead.

"Avery," Tobias Hawthorne said. "It's quite a story, you and I." All eyes fixated onto Avery, but the only place she was looking was the screen.

"I know you have many questions. Why did I choose you? What could I, a billionaire, possibly want from you?"

Those were only the beginning of my questions.

"And, if everything went according to plan, you're not alone." Tobias Hawthorne paused. "Hello, boys."

The air in the room thickened. Was it hard to breathe?

"Oh, and of course, Evangeline." Tobias Hawthorne had a smirk on his face while saying my name. Asshole. "I hope you aren't too angry with me, dear."

"That's one way of putting it," I mumbled.

"I know none of it makes sense. Your father, your mother, the truth about who you really are. But trust me, one day it will."

I felt a hand on my back. Xander.

"Now, you all need to listen to me very carefully." Something in Tobias voice changed. "A threat is coming. Vincent Blake—and if i'm correct—Grant Ruth are coming for you. There's nothing I can do to stop it.

Graysons jaw clenched beside me. I felt the urge to reach out for him, to tell him it was going to be okay.

But then I remembered everything.

"I'm guessing Eve has come, and that means the end is here. You need to prepare, all of you. It doesn't get easier from here." Another pause. "I've known this threat would come. That's why I gave Avery the inheritance."

Now he was talking.

"Ah, yes, the big question. Why did I give Avery the inheritance and not Evelyn? Evelyn was the lost one. It would have made sense to give it to her." So why not?

"I'm sorry, Avery. But at the end of the day, someone had to come first. You got the house, the money, but you also got the responsibility. Whoever got the inheritance would be in danger, and I couldn't do that to her."

Wow.

Jameson placed a hand on Avery's back, rubbing it in circles. Guilt rose in my throat, but I swallowed it.

"So why? Why did I bring you back into this life, Evelyn? I did it because you may not be the one, but Avery needed someone. I've watched over you, even been in arms length with you. I've seen the person you've become, and I've grown to like you."

Something like a smile crossed Graysons face.

"Grant Ruth was like my family. I loved him, but he was greedy. After your mother died, he felt he had nothing here for him. Yes, even his own daughter." Telling myself it didn't hurt was easier then attempting to feel the pain of his words. "He has probably tried to harm you, but you must stay strong."

"Turn it off," Nash ordered.

"It's almost done," Xander pointed out.

"The time is coming. All of you must prepare. You need each other, whether you want to admit it or not." Something knowing crossed over the old man's face, which made me glance around the room.

God, it felt like he was watching us.

Grayson must have had the same thought, because we both made eye contact after a few moments. I looked away and back at the computer.

"Avery, Evelyn. You're young, female, use that to your advantage. This is the finale countdown. Everything you boys have worked for."

Silence.

"The game starts.." Tobias checked his watch, "in three, two, one,"

"Go."

"You're still up?" I asked as Grayson popped his head out of the water.

"No time to sleep," Grayson said. "Thinking."

He was always thinking. So was I.

We had just found out Alisa was taken by Vincent Blake, and now we were doing anything in our Power to get her back. I guess sleeping didn't feel right to him either. Alisa was one of us.

"Maybe try to not think and sleep?" I suggested.

Grayson didn't even contemplate my words. "Like I said, there's no time. You heard my grandfather." Grayson treaded to the side of the pool. "A threat is coming."

"You mean my dad?"

"Vincent Blake," Grayson clarified, even though it was just an attempt to make me feel better. "You don't have to worry, Evelyn."

"I'm always worrying," I said. "Always thinking about what comes next." I sat down on the concrete and dipped my feet in the water. It was cold.

"You shouldn't."

I smirked. "But I do." I kicked his shoulder lightly. "And so do you, if i'm correct."

"You are."

"Obviously."

"Yeah."

I could still pick out his gray eyes in the dark of the night. Even in a crowded room, I would notice Grayson Davenport Hawthorne.

Sometimes I think it would be easier if I didn't, but I do, and now I've come to the realization I'll just be forced to love him forever, even if I can't have him.

Well, now i'm sad.

"What's on your mind?" Grayson asked.

You. "Everything, I guess."

"I have to tell you something," Grayson blurted out, rushed and abruptly. Very unlike Grayson. "But, you can't tell anyone. Promise?"

I laughed. "Like a pinky promise? Who are you, and what have you done with Grayson Davenport Hawthorne?"

The serious and needy look on Grayson's face didn't give, and I immediately stopped laughing. "Okay, what is it?"

Grayson shook his head. "Um, I was, just, uh—"

"Grayson—"

"I love you."

That was not what I expected.

"Oh," I said, a mere whisper leaving my throat. Was it getting hard to breathe? Again? "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I mean it, and I should have said it more often when I had you." Grayson placed his hands on my thighs. I exhaled a breath. "There are so many things I will never say."

"Why?"

He didn't answer that. Instead, he said, "Promise me, whatever happens, you'll understand?"

"Grayson, what do you mean?"

"Just, promise me. Promise me that." He reached for my hands and intertwined ours together. "Please?"

I had no idea what he meant, but I hadn't felt this much peace in a while. So I said, "Okay."

I shouldn't have done that.

a/n:

RAHHHHHHHH!!! also guys i have so many more fics coming with characters from different shows and movies I cant i'm in my writing era rn 🫶🏻 love you all and thank you for the support!!