Fourteen

❥ "Don't jump." My breath hitched when I heard a voice come from behind me. It was peaceful up here, the coast reflecting the ocean in front of me. If I wasn't so afraid of heights, I would jump right now.

I turned my head around to see Grayson Hawthorne looking at me like he'd just seen a ghost. "Just— come here. D- don't jump."

"Grayson, i'm not going to jump." My feet were dangling on the edge, but I was fully cemented on the coastline. I wasn't going anywhere. "It's okay."

"I'm sorry— I know I've fucked up. But we can talk about this. Don't jump." Was he even hearing me? It was like he was someplace else, some other—

Emily.

"Grayson, calm down. It's me."

"I- I cant—"

Standing up, I ran over to Grayson, placing my hands on his face. "Please calm down. Grayson—"

"I'll explain everything, just don't—"

"Grayson." My voice hardened. "It's me. Evelyn. I'm not going to jump."

Grayson looked at me, need and want in his eyes— and then he exhaled.

"I've looked everywhere for you." He said. "I- I didn't know if you tried to leave Hawthorne House." My hands were still firm on Graysons face, too afraid to let go of him.

"I don't think I would've been able to," I let out a small laugh, but nothing was funny at all. "Let's talk, okay?"

Grayson nodded, and slowly— I let go of his face.

Grayson told me everything. What happened with Emily, my mom and dad, everything.

"So that's why you got so scared, when I—"

"I killed her." Grayson cut me off. "Maybe I didn't kill her, but I killed her."

That sentence was twisted enough for me to grab Graysons hand and gently run my fingers against his. "It's not your fault." I whispered.

"All these years, I blamed myself for what happened to you." Graysons chest was tight as he spoke, and I ached to make him feel better. "Jamie wasn't looking and he ran into me, and I—"

"Ran into me. You ran into me and I fell." I finished. It was slowly coming back to me. The voices, the screams. "I don't know why I can't remember anything."

"The bastard had connections." Grayson grabbed my other hand. "I'm sure hypnosis works."

I raised my eyebrows.

"It's a thing, i'm serious."

"But I don't get it, you said my dad died?"

Grayson nodded. "He died with Toby Hawthorne on Hawthorne Island. There was a fire." He visibly stiffened. "Your dad was involved in some bad deals, things my grandfather was having a hard time getting him out of. I guess that's why he made you disappear."

"So nobody would come after me." I breathed out.

"Yeah." Grayson nodded. "But the old man wanted you back in this sick, twisted, and broken house. This life."

"Don't say that." I whispered. "You're not broken." He never said he was broken, but Grayson Hawthorne had showed and implied in various ways that he very much believed he was.

"But it's true."

There were so many other things to think about right now. Avery, my father, my mother— all these people who used to be in my life, why Tobias Hawthorne faked my death all to bring me back into it again.

But nothing else mattered now. Here, down in the wine cellar with Grayson Hawthorne was what mattered.

I placed my hand on the space between his jawline and neck, admiring the man that is Grayson Hawthorne. When I first met him (well, this time around) he seemed so cold, offset, and alone. But now, he was one of the only people who I knew I could trust.

Grayson shuddered. "Evelyn, there are so many things—"

"I know." I swallowed the sickening feeling threatening to leave my stomach. I have to do this.

"We can't." My touch remained on his face. "I just found out so much about my life, things that have been hidden from me. This— us? If we try now, we'll only be doomed to end."

Grayson shook his head. "Why not?" He took both of my hands into his, fully shifting his body to face me. "Just give me one reason, one good reason, and I'll walk away."

God, this was hard. "Emily."

Grayson said nothing.

"I know what happened was traumatic— and I wouldn't have been so horrible If I knew the full story." That was true. "But you're not over her." Also true. "And I don't expect you to be, even if you do feel something for me." True. True. True. "We both need time."

Why did everything have to be true?

"So, this is what you want?" Grayson's voice was barely above a whisper, almost like he didn't want me to hear him. But I did. Of course I heard him.

"Yes." False.

Oh, there was the lie.

Grayson let go of my hands, looking down towards the ground. I thought he was going to leave, until he looked me straight in the eyes, and said, "One kiss."

"What?"

"One kiss that you'll really remember." Oh.

"Grayson—" He cut me off by placing his hands on my face. "We can't."

"I know. Just this once. Down here, it'll be like it never happened." Like we never happened.

Once we left here, whatever me and Grayson Hawthorne had, was done. I just hoped it wasn't forever.

I nodded, and within seconds Graysons lips were on mine. It was feverish, and I was once again impressed by how goddamn amazing Grayson was at kissing.

Winding my fingers through his soft hair, Grayson let out a grunt. I wanted to have this moment ingrained in my mind, replaying over and over until I would get sick of it. (Never)

Pulling away, Grayson pecked me on the lips one more time before smiling. "Game on, Evelyn."

I needed to talk to Avery.

I was pissed, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little bad for lashing out on her. Maybe she had her reasons?

Then again, this was pretty huge.

I walked into Tobias Hawthorne's wing, only to find Jameson and Avery looking like they had seen a ghost. "What happened to you guys?"

Relief seeped into every pour of Avery's face. "Oh, Evelyn, we need to—"

"I know," I said. "But first, what's going on?"

Jameson looked at Avery and then me. "Look at this clue we found." He signaled for me to come next to him, and I did. There were descrambled words that consisted of one name.

Avery Kylie Grambs.

A Very Risky Gamble.

"Holy shit—"

"That's not all, Ev." Avery hands me another peice of paper, and the color practically drains from my face when I read it the words.

Find Tobias Hawthorne ll

And find Grant Ruth.

a/n:

annnnndddd that's the end of act 1! i will start uploading The Hawthorne Legacy (act 2) as soon as I can!! I have most of it plotted out and I know you guys probably want answers about Evelyn's life which will be provided. Love you guys and thank you SOOOO much for the support you have showed on this story :0