One

❥ What should have started has a normal day, ended as anything but.

After successfully sleeping in my car once again (With Avery) We both made it to school looking semi decent. Staying with Libby wasn't an option, because her dickhead boyfriend wasn't the nicest person.

I had survived my first three classes of the day until I was called to the office. No idea why, but the walk to the office gave me a quick minute or two to listen to some Taylor Swift on my phone, with my half broken earbuds.

When I got to the office, Avery was there. And Libby. My first thought was that this is about Libby. Maybe her boyfriend screwed up so bad that she finally had the authority to leave him, and we were called here to be told that he was being dropped off the face of the planet as we speak.

Nope.

Instead, Avery looked anything but happy. Libby looked guily. Avery fiddled with the ring on her finger, the ring our mother gave her.

"Miss Grambs," Principal Altman gave me a pointed look, one that told me to sit the hell down. He wasn't in his seat, and instead, it was occupied by somebody else.

I sat down, and almost as if on cue the chair turned around, revealing a boy. Scratch that, a man. He had blonde hair accompanied by his silver-gray eyes. His jawline sharp and gaze lethal, I wondered what kind of power this guy had in order to kick Principal Altman out of his seat.

"Now that you're both here, we can begin." The blonde guy looked between me and Avery, and I was at a loss for words. Way more interesting than my calculus class.

"I didn't know the emails were real, Ev." Libby shrugged her shoulders, not daring to look at the blonde guy in front of us.

"What emails?" He looked at me, and that's when I finally got a really good look at him. For a moment, his breath hitched, and it was almost like he was looking through me at somebody else.

"I.." He shook his head, "Your sister has been getting emails about a will reading in Texas. They were very real." He looks back at Libby with a stern glare. She doesn't look at him, and continues to fiddle with her ring.

The guy stands up, cleaning imagery dirt off of his pants. "Grayson Hawthorne." He says it matter-of -factly, like it should be a known thing. "And you ladies are coming with me."

Flying first class was the last thing I expected to be doing this morning, but i'm not complaining. Libby is taking in the luxuries seemingly well while my brain can't stop thinking. What are we doing here? Why do me and Avery need to be at a will reading for a man we don't even know? Didn't know?

"Ev?" Avery whispers, leaning into me. I turn to face her and take in the scared look crossing her face. "What's going to happen?"

I wish I could tell her things will be okay, but I don't even know at this point if they will. Me and Avery have been through Hell and back together though, and nothing is gonna tear us apart, most definitely not an old man.

Once we landed in Texas, me and the girls were shoved into a Limo in haste. Libby looked like she was on cloud nine taking in the amenities around her, and something about this felt weird. A familiar weird.

The shield stopping us from seeing the front of the limo lowered, and we were met with Grayson.

"We're almost at Hawthorne House," He looked at me really quick before bouncing back between Libby and Avery, "Be ready."

"Hawthorne house?" Avery hissed, "That sounds official."

"Took the words right out of my mouth." I mutter.

Avery was right. Hawthorne house sounded official, and knowing that Grayson had the last name Hawthorne didn't help matters either. No The Hawthorne house, or The Hawthorne's home. It was just Hawthorne House. 

I swallowed the bubbling feeling of utter worry attempting to escape my throat. I had no idea what this place was, or who lived here, but I suddenly wished I was back in my Calculus class.

When the car stopped, the door was immediately opened on both sides of the limo. Once I got out, I turned around to be met with what I assumed to be Hawthorne House.

I couldn't even look at Libby and Avery to gauge their reactions because I was too engrossed to look away.

Something wasn't right, because it wasn't pure shock. The type of shock you get from seeing a mansion. This was different.

"Checkmate." He says, with a devastating smirk on his face. I could never win these games, even if I tried my hardest.

"You cheat every time." The tone in my voice clearly states i'm done playing this game. But the boy in front of me just grins wider at my reaction.

"Don't sweat it, Eva. Gray and J love a good competition, you know that." The other boy winks at me, and a small laugh escapes my lips.

"That must mean I raised them well." Another man, who sounded presumably older than the others spoke. "Learn this now, Eva." He leans closer to me, "Play the game or the game plays you. There's no in between."

When I looked at the man, his face was blurry. Everything was blurry.

"Welcome to Hawthorne house." A voice snaps me out of my daze, and i'm met with the only Hawthorne member I know so far. His icy eyes are hard to not look at, but I manage.

He begins to walk and I follow, noticing Avery and Libby are already ahead of me. Something about Grayson is offsetting, and there's a strangeness to him.

If there's more like him, I can only hope we get this freaking will over with fast enough.

I'm really in need of a fucking detention now, Principal Altman.

a/n:

first chapter is really short but yk..🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️