Three

❥ "𝐈 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐖𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐊," Is all Avery said to me before swiping some of my cupcake batter off the pan, licking it quickly. Libby followed behind her.

I mentally cursed myself. "Can we not do this right now?"

Libby shook her head. "We need to talk," she slid into the seat across from me. "I know you're upset."

"With reason!" Avery added.

My hand ached, and the batter didn't need any more stirring but I needed a distraction. "What do you guys want?" I was still angry. I may have put some of that anger aside for the mission at hand, but I'd be lying If I said I didn't feel betrayed.

Did I understand why Avery and Libby lied? Yes. Did I still hate it just as much? Maybe.

"I'm sorry," Avery broke the silence. "I shouldn't have lied to you, but at least let me explain why?"

I stopped mixing the batter, my hand red and sore as an after effect. "Listen, I know why you did it. Mom was dying and you didn't want to let her down." That was understandable. "But after? When we got to Hawthorne house? You knew how badly I wanted answers, yet you acted clueless."

Silence.

"And maybe Libby didn't feel like it was her right to say something, but I sure as hell know you did." Avery's head was down, not daring to make eye contact with me. "I'm not saying I don't get it, because I do. I just wish you hadn't of waited so long."

"This doesn't change anything," Libby said. "you're still my sister. Our sister." my heart expanded at Libby's words, because it was all so Libby like and I wanted to say more but nothing was coming out.

"How about we make a pact," Avery grabbed a chocolate chip and threw it in her mouth. "no more lies?"

I sighed, looking down at the batter. It smelled good and looked so delicious. All I wanted to do was eat it right now.

"I'm in," Libby said, snapping me out of my trance. Both sets of eyes turned towards me and the immense pressure I already felt had just multiplied within seconds.

"Okay," I said, hesitance laced in my voice. I may have not been fully over what happened, but at the end of the day, Avery and Libby were my people. The Hawthorne's would die for each other, hell, maybe even kill for each other.

I would do anything for the two girls in front of me.

Including bake!

"I took a page out of Libby's apology book," I gestured towards the mess in front of me. "clearly i'm not as skilled in this profession."

"You're doing just fine. But let's talk about other things— or people!" Avery nudged Libby in the ribs when the words escaped her mouth, and I internally cringed.

"Spit it out."

"You and the heir apparent," Libby inched closer to me. "The one who looks like God? The super hot—"

"Hey, wait," I held a hand up. "aren't you cozying up with Nash Hawthorne?" I turned my focus towards Avery. "And aren't you having little rendezvous with Jameson!"

Avery's cheeks turned a light shade of pink. "It's nothing serious. I'm just a game to him."

"Any man who thinks you're just a game is not a man, clearly." Libby said. "But seriously, I don't think that's the case."

"Neither," I added. "And besides, at least Jameson is emotionally available." I hadn't meant to bring up Grayson, but now that we were on the topic of impossible-to-figure-out Hawthorne's, I couldn't help myself.

Avery's face turned white.

"Fess up. What do you know?"

"I'm not supposed to tell you."

I groaned. "Did you forget about the pact we made quite literally 2 minutes ago?"

"It's just.." Avery sighed. "Grayson will freak if he knows you know." Of course it was about Grayson. Grayson Davenport Hawthorne would always occupy my thoughts, one way or another.

"Spill."

Avery knew there was no getting out of this. "Skye was the one who shot you. Well, tried to shoot you. Grayson knew, of course he did, and when I asked him if you knew he said he didn't want you too—" the words were a mess of rushed thoughts leaving her mouth. "And he's also looking for your dad on this little trip he and Jameson just left for, but I really don't think it's—"

"He's what?" My voice peaked on the what. So maybe me and Grayson weren't exactly kissing— talking anymore, but I didn't think he would just look for my dad without me.

"Please don't freak out. He just doesn't want to get your hopes up, and—"

"I'll be right back." Wiping any spare batter off my hands, I grabbed my phone and headed for the stairs, ignoring all of Avery's calls for me to come back. Right before I hit the stairs, I called out, "Oh, and don't forget to put the cookies in the oven!"

a/n:

sorry i've been so inactive i'm gonna start grinding again but YEASS GO CHEIFS ok tbh maybe i'm just a taylor fan who wanted to see the grown men cry over chiefs winning bc it's funny (aka my annoying brother) but it was so worth it. also not everybody turning on travis bc he had one hot headed moment?? ok like that was rlly wrong but it was a heat of the moment thing and i don't think people
should be saying he's a wife beater and that taylor needs to break up with him.. maybe it's just TikTok bc that app makes me loose brain cells.

ok done with rant bye bye now!! :0