Twelve

WARNINGS: SMALL MENTIONS OF INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS

❥ 𝐈'𝐌 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐈𝐄.

I mean, I always knew I would one day, but not like this. No, not with a gun pointed to my head.

"Sheffield," Toby said, "Think about this."

But Sheffield Grayson didn't bat an eye, and his focused stayed on me. "This is what Grant wants. I'm not going to prolong this any longer."

"He wants this?" My voice was weak, barely audible. I had been looking for a man who has wanted to kill me this whole time.

As if Sheffield could see the cogs turning in my brain, he said, "He was gonna leave it alone. Leave you alone. But you started asking questions."

"But he's—"

"Your father?" he smirked. "Oh, sweetie, you should know that Grant Ruth will go after anyone in his way, especially a silly little girl."

That's all I was. A silly little girl.

And for the shortest eternity, I actually wanted him to pull the trigger. Because this? This life? None of it was worth it anymore. I missed my car and never being in the spotlight.

I closed my eyes, bracing for the fall. But when I opened my eyes, Avery was tackling Sheffield Grayson on the ground.

"Avery!" I yelled.

Sheffield pushed Avery off of him and she went tumbling back. He held his gun up to Avery, and the fear in her eyes made me want to tear down this whole house.

Click.

A gun went off, but it wasn't at Avery.

I looked toward the doorway to see a girl— strawberry blonde hair, innocent eyes, and a gun in hand— who had just shot Sheffield Grayson.

Oh my..

"Mellie," Toby said.

Who is she? "I'm sorry, I couldn't let him do it." Her hands were shaking, and I don't truly think she had registered what she just did.

"Mellie, get out of here." Toby didn't give her a choice, that was an order.

"Eve will come, and I'll do anything to keep her from this life." Mellie said. Eve?

Avery must of been thinking what I was, because she turned to look at me and mouthed "what?" to me.

"Not you," Mellie clarified. "Eve. My half sister." She looked at Toby and his head fell to the floor.

Avery undid the rope keeping me in my chair and I as soon as I broke free, I ran into her arms. After everything, it was always Avery. Dammit— she was right.

We don't have to be blood.

Grant may be my father by birth, by blood, but Avery? Libby? They were more family than anyone else. The Hawthorne boys had showed me more love than that man ever had.

Avery looked at Mellie. "Go. I won't say anything if you go right now." Mellie looked at Toby before nodding, and the shadow of her was all that was left in the doorway.

Toby turned to face me and Avery. "You two are truly
horrible."

Avery smirked. "Says you. You pretend to be homeless." Toby held a hand to his heart, pretending to be offended— and my heart warmed.

For Avery.

Because everything about Grant Ruth was setting in the more I sat here. He tried to kill me.

"Evelyn, he is not worth it." Toby said. "That man was my best-friend, and trust me when I say, there was— is no saving him. "You are worth more than that. Him."

"What about you?" Avery said, her voice small. "What are you worth? Where will you go?" Stay, is what she meant. Stay here with me.

"I can't." as if he read her mind, "But I will always look after you." He looked at me. "Both of you."

"You have a daughter." I pointed out.

"I have two Evelyn's. Not just one." Toby shifted his gaze to Avery. "And you. Always you."

Avery opened her mouth to speak, but the words never came out. Toby walked toward the door, but turned around before he left. "I loved your mother, Avery. Both of them. Sage was like my sister. Hannah— she was my life." His eyes were red. "But I have to disappear. I will never let Eve see this life."

"I know," Avery said. But she didn't. Not really. Because when you finally meet that person you can call home, you never get it.

Speaking of—

"Grayson. Where is he?" I asked.

"We'll find them." Avery clarified for me.

Toby smiled at both of us. "You're good girls. You'll be okay, as long as you have each other." And he didn't give us any chance to respond, because he left without sparing another glance.

I looked at Avery. "Come on." I tugged on her arm gently. "Let's go find the others." She looked like she was considering going after Toby, but when she met my gaze, I knew she knew what to do. What was right.

"We need to take care of this." Avery gestured toward the dead man on the ground.

I looked at Sheffield Grayson. "Oh. Right."

"Oh. My. God." Libby examined every line on my face to make sure I was fine. "What the hell happened?"

"Thea happened," I sighed.

"I'll take care of Sheffield. Don't worry." Oren signaled at his men and they headed down the hall.

Looking around, I noticed one person was missing. Two. "Where are Grayson and Jameson?" Avery looked at me knowingly. "What?"

"I think it's time both of you be happy." Libby grabbed both of our hands, intertwining them with hers. "Go on."

And in this moment, nothing felt more complete.

a/n:

double upload today bc why not also i'm trying to stretch this part out but next chapter will be the last for act 2!! this story has gone by sooo fast yall wtf. like the next act is the last :(( ok love y'all sm byeee!