Eight

❥ I was in and out for the next couple of hours. There were faint voices, but eventually my head hurt too much so I ignored them. My left leg hurt and my stomach was killing me.

When I woke up again, the sun was seeping through the blinds. I wasn't in a hospital, but I knew this wasn't Hawthorne House. Or maybe it was, maybe it was another one of Tobias Hawthorne's wierd ass rooms.

It had to have been the next day, because last I woke up it was dark out.

"Hello."

I turned to my left and see Rebecca Laughlin standing by the door. She inched forward a little bit before stopping, not wanting to get too close, evidently. "Oh—hey?"

"Sorry, I can leave if—"

"No, no." I quickly respond, "I just wasn't expecting you. Is this your house?"

Her shoulders drop, and she seemingly looks more relaxed. "Yeah.. it's not as good as Hawthorne house but it's something."

"The bed is comfy."

She laughs, "I'm glad you think so." There's a minute of silence before she takes another few steps foward. "Do you remember anything?"

The woods. Grayson. Blood.

"I know I was—" Shot. I looked down at my stomach to see bandages and stained blood on my sweater.

"I would have given you new clothes but I didn't know if you felt comfortable.. with somebody changing you."

I smiled, "It's okay, besides my favorite sweatshirt getting stained." Rebecca's small smile fades to a frown and I immediately feel the need to take my joke back. "I was just kidding."

"Hmm, okay." Why does she look like she's studying me? "Well, let me know if you need anything." I nodded and she quickly exited the room, not giving me another glance.

My phone starts ringing on the nightstand next to me and without moving, I fling my arm to it, barely able to reach my phone. Once I have it my hands, I answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Oh gosh, I was so worried." Avery's voice is laced with concern. I hadn't even gotten to ask if she was okay, considering she did almost get shot as well.

"I'm okay, don't worry."

A beat passed. "Is Grayson there? Nobody knows where he went." Grayson. His hands in my hair, his sweet nothing whispers.

"I— no. Was he okay?"

"He thinks it's his fault. Everything. He's scared to see you." A sharp pain slices through my chest, and it's not from my wound. It's for him.

"I want to see him. Where is he?"

There's a pause. "Ev, you can't get out of bed."

A small smirk forms on my lips. "Says who?"

"Your body, idiot!" Riling Avery up was one of my favorite activities to participate in. I knew I couldn't get out of bed, but it was nice to have some humor around here. "Look, just, relax for now, okay? I'll come visit you soon."

"Oh gosh, where are you?"

"I may be figuring something out—"

"With Jameson."

"Okay gotta go!" Before I can respond Avery hangs up the phone. Such a lovable idiot.

The next day, I was moved back to Hawthorne House. It was pretty embarrassing being moved in a stretcher, but I made due. I still saw no sign of Grayson, and my heart ached at the thought of him being upset.