Chapter 20

I follow them to the carriage that is in front of the castle. Soviet speaks with Ukraine and then stows my black and white feather in his jacket pocket. What is he going to do with it? I stand behind the children who are hugging their father. Then Soviet Union came to me and hugged me. Then he smiles lovingly at me for a moment and goes to the carriage. If my heart continues to beat this fast, I will definitely faint from it. We wave after them before I go back into the castle with the children, but first I look back. I hope nothing will happen to him, because unfortunately I cannot follow him.

It is my job to take care of the children and I will do my best in that. I go upstairs with the kids and go into the living room with them. But there I see someone and pull the children a little closer to me to protect them. I also have a reconversion potion in my pocket in case he attack us. This compartment is only for the royal family and guests specifically invited by them. The person gets up and slowly comes closer to the light. It's Russian Empire, Soviet father! What is he doing here? The children hold my hand a little tighter. "W-what a-are you doing he-here?", I ask him.

He stops and says: "I could ask you the same thing. You are not a member of the royal family." "Soviet Union has given me the job of looking after his two children while he is not here.", I inform him. Russian Empire sits down and looks over at us. Then he says: "So-so... What's your name?" "My name is Nick sir.", I answer him. He asks me: "Last name!" "I don't know.", I answer him and become more and more self-confident the longer I stand here. He asks: "What do you mean that you don't know?" "I don't have a family and therefore I don't have a last name.", I reply confidently.

Last names are overrated and unnecessary I think. Russian Empire stands up and comes closer to me. The children hide behind me while I don't move. He's standing in front of me and he's at least a head taller than me. "Bring my grandchildren over.", he orders me. He can absolutely forget that! It is up to them to decide, not him. I look back and from their look I see that the two of them don't want to leave me. I smile at them both slightly to show that I'll take care of them. I turn back to the big Countryhuman in front of me and look again, as before, before I answer: "No!"

He seems surprised, but looks pretty angry at me. He shows his bear-like fangs and makes himself even bigger with its wings. I still stop just as I did before. He says: "You are really outrageously naughty for a human." "And you're pretty snooty for a Countryhuman without a country.", I give it back to him. The Russian Empire is even less pleased about it. "You are not a human! Humans would never dance around any Countryhuman like that", says Russian Empire. I say: "I don't dance and if you want your grandchildren you have to go to your son or fly because I'll do what he says. You have nothing to say to me."

I just turn around and go to the children's room with the children. Russian Empire can't get a word out. I sit down on the floor with the children and break out laughing with them. "You really showed him!", laughs Ukraine. I tell them: "I want you to be happy." The two of them hug me. I hold them close to me. "Nick are you really a Countryhuman?", I am asked by Russia. Then I let go of them and lock the door before I go back to them and drink my potion. "Is that your answer?", I ask him.

"If you are a Countryhuman like us, you probably have a different name than Nick.", says Russia. "Yes, I have! I am Third Reich, but you can also just call me Reich.", I introduce myself to them. "Great name, but why 'Third Reich'?", Ukraine asks me. I'm trying to explain: "It's a family thing. My 'father' is called Second Reich, so I'm 'the Third'." Ukraine thought for a moment before he asked me: "Do you have an empire too, like papa?" "N-No... My father kicked me out of the family, so I no longer belong to the royal family and cannot be a throne successor.", I say.

The two look very sad about it. "So you don't have a family anymore?", Russia asks me. I nod. Ukraine and Russia come to me and hug my legs. I wrap my wings around the two of them before I crouch and hug them. "We are your family then," says Russia. This is so cute! I thank them: "Really, really nice of you!" We hug for a while before Russia asks me: "Why are you actually in the castle?" Shall I tell them? They deserve an answer. "I'm in love with your father. We were together 7 years ago and it was the best time of my life and I just want to be with him, whether he still loves me or not.", I reply to Russia.

"Why don't you just tell dad?", I am asked by Ukraine. I answer: "I am afraid that he no longer loves me and I am afraid that he might not like me because I could not bring myself to come back to him. I also thought that he has long since forgotten me or that I would ruin his life. I just want your father to be happy." "Dad is not happy because he misses you.", said Ukraine. Wait... What? "Really?", I ask. He tells me: "Yes, he kept talking about you, but Mom kept yelling at Dad that you were dead and that he should forget you, but he never did.

He talked less and less to her about you because she doesn't like it when he talks about you. He raves about you and always says that if he finds you he'll get divorce immediately and then marry you. He always says that he wishes to have you in his arms again and that he wants to kiss you from head to toe. He loves you and has been looking for you for ages." He has not forgotten me and still loves me! He wants to marry me! He is looking for me! Did I hear you right? "Papa is also afraid that you have forgotten him. He'd rather spend every second looking for you, but unfortunately he can't leave.", Russia tells me.