The king's summon

Start from the beginning

Shit...

Anxiety gnawed at my nerves as I made my way through the grand corridors of the palace, each step echoing loudly in the silence of the deserted halls. My mind raced with thoughts of the consequences of being caught, the weight of my secret threatening to crush me under its suffocating grip.

As I approached the imposing doors of the throne room, my heart pounded in my chest like a drumbeat of dread. I knew that once I crossed the threshold, there would be no turning back, no escaping the scrutiny of the king and his court.

The guards standing at the door stared at me and from their stares alone, I felt self-conscious.

"We'll open the door," One of the guards said, and I suddenly felt worse.

I let out a deep breath as the doors opened and I stepped inside. My eyes scanned the room for any sign of danger, for any person I might know who would be here other than the king.

But I didn't stop any of the king's advisors, rather, I saw him—

!!!

Hael, standing at the edge of the room with an air of quiet authority that sent a ripple of relief coursing through me.

For a moment, I simply stood there, frozen in place as our eyes met across the vast expanse of the throne room. I know I was the one who didn't want to meet him and I know I was also the one who wanted to stay away from him.

But seeing him at this moment made my heart relax

And I don't think anyone else could have done that for me.

He passed me a smile as he came over to me while I stood next to the main door that the guards closed, then offered me his hand which I took without a second thought.

"I told the arch mages not to say anything. You being summoned to the king's court is your own fault, My Lady."

Oh. I looked down in shame, "I know..."

"Worried?" He whispered next to my ear, startling me.

"Well," I was worried, "They all know me,"

His eyes were full of haughtiness, "I've already taken care of that."

!!!

"You have?" I was confused

"Of course I have, My lady," He pulled me along with him and that's when I noticed the King

!!!

He had his eyes on us. He was intently staring at me which made me shrink. Shit, I knew he would recognize me immediately!

We stopped in front of a small flight of stairs on which the king had his throne. His gaze was piercing into me, like he was trying to eat me alive or something.

Does he know? Of course, he must!

He must have recognized me!!! I l clung onto Hael's arms and he noticed all of my movement.

"You were right, Hael," The king said, "She looks like a carbon copy of her."

I frowned, what?

"I said so," Hael replied calmly, "But Your Majesty wouldn't trust me."

The king snorted out a laugh, "I have never seen a doppelganger before." His gaze intensified, "It's like she's a twin,"

!!!

Doppelganger?! Did Hael tell the king I look like Corvina!?!? Oh Wow, that's actually not a bad idea!

"I want to see her power," The king demanded and my heart fell, "Girl, what's your name?"

I gulped in fear, and then glanced at Hael, "Go ahead," He said and I looked at the king respectfully.

"Amber," I said

"Well then Amber, show me your power. I heard your powers as a saint awakened."

My grip on Hael's arm increased. Show him my power? I have no idea how to do that though!!

"I-" I felt like a fraud even though I was going to apologize to the king, "I can't-" I grimaced, "Yet..."

"What?" The king did not like the sound of that. His eyes grew fierce and I sensed danger, which startled me.

Hael moved me behind him, "She hasn't been trained yet, Your Majesty." He defended me, "Since she woke up as a saint so late, she'll need a lot of training."

Hael's larger body covered all of mine and being hidden behind him somehow managed to make me calmer.

"Is that so?" The king's voice toned down, "You should have told me sooner, I was excited for no reason."

...

Is it just me? Or a few words from Hael made the king back off? I blinked a few times as I thought about it

"You can be excited, your majesty, she will show your power to you after I've trained her." He said and I frowned.

After he's trained me? Him?

"Hmm," The king started to think about something and I gave my attention to the other man.

I stared at Hael, "Did you tell the king I looked like Corvina?" I whispered in his ear and he glanced at me

"How else did you plan to tackle this problem?"

"Well," I didn't let go of his arm, "This isn't a bad tactic..."

He placed his hand on my cheek

!!!

"How about you trust me?" My face felt a little hot, "You may have put yourself in trouble, but I'll help you get out of it."

My heart beat rose. He felt like a guardian at that moment.

"Are you going to stop calling me My lady!"

"It's a habit " He replied

"We'll get rid of it!" I said, "Won't it be suspicious if anyone catches on!" Whenever he calls me, My Lady, it gets me all anxious and nervous!

"I don't want to," He said,

Huh!?!

"Why not?!" I whispered at him, not expecting that he would present me with the most ridiculous, mind boggling answer.

"Because you're 'My' Lady." He replied as the main door opened but we both looked at each other. Hael looked into my eyes, his moon like eyes staring into mine, "And you will always be 'My' woman,"

I froze as my brain malfunctioned

What?

What???? What did he just say?

??????