summer breeze

Time, as it usually does when your anxious and busy, flew by so fast for Aveline that she barely even registered that the worst part of auror training was now nothing but a horrible memory and the end of summer was approaching.

The end of the summer usually came with excitment and was laced with anticipation that followed letters sealed in parchamenet envelopes full of book and class lists.

This year— for obvious reasons— was different. There was no waiting by the window for their book lists, or parading through Diagon Alley in search for new cauldrons and robes. There was just the life as usual, and the cloud of war hanging over their heads darker then ever before.

Though, there was at least one exciting thing that approached as the end of summer neared, the wedding of James and Lily soon to be Potter.

Truthfully, Aveline was still in disbelief that they were here— in this stage of life where she had friends getting married.

Today was one of those moments that felt extra unreal, as she watched Lily try on wedding dresses in a little second hand store tucked away in a corner of muggle London.

The store was a bit dusty, with dress racks that were mismatched and hardwood floors that were certainly dented and worn from years of good use. It was the type of store Aveline's mother and father wouldn't have been caught dead in, with clearly hand painted artworks hung crooked on the walls, and stained old seating facing a dressing room that was nothing but a curtain.

James had made it very clear to Lily, that he was more than willing to pay any amount of money she wanted to spend on her dress. The Potter boy having access to most funds at his young age than most people had in their entire lives.

But Lily, simply was not that type of girl. She grew up in a much more budgeted life than James Potter, with a wardrobe of mostly second hand wears and a modest home in a quaint little neighborhood. And despite the fact that most people would've thrown themselves into the Potters barrels of funds and sometimes lavish lifestyle, Lily Evans was simply not that type of girl.

She always had found an odd sense of beauty in what had been used. She enjoyed finding a piece of clothing that was clearly worn by someone else— a missing button, a knick of fabric taken out of the knee, a stitch slighly undone. There was something to her in imagining the story of its previous owner, and of course she would want no different in the dress she was to get married in.

For Aveline Rosier, this store and this thought process was something she very much was not used too.

As she sat on the worn chair awaiting Lily to come out of the changeroom, she still had not quite grasped the concept of second hand.

"So I just don't understand," Aveline whispered to Mary. "These dresses are used?"

Never in her life had Aveline Rosier worn something that was not brand new, and most of the time, often taloired and stitched just for her.

Mary chuckled softly, placing a kind hand on Aveline knee. "Its a second-hand store, so yes."

"Do all muggles shop like this?" Aveline contunied, looking around in admiration at the complete cluttered mess the shop was.

An annoyed huff was her answer, as she turned her head to catch the sight of Lily's older sister-— Petunia— shaking her head in pure utter disbelief.

Naturally, Lily had invited her family to her wedding dress shopping trip, along with her school friends.

Aveline had heard stories of Lily's miserable older sister but truly nothing lived up to actually meeting the girl in person and seeing the true extent of her general disgust for Lily and anything Lily related.