Meetings and birds

Muttering— should could hear muttering as she approached Dumbledore's office door. The sounds of not just one or two, but at least half a dozen voices wafting through the wall . Her curiosity spiked along with her anxiety as she reached her hand for the glinting handle.

Was it Fabian and Gideon again?

Maybe her other Proffesor?

Her mind was going through many possibilities but nothing could have prepared her for opening the door and immediately locking eyes with James Potter— the chattering in the room falling to silent.

Her head titled in confusion , about to open her mouth to say something when her eyes took in the sight of not just James, but Lily, Marlene, Alice, Mary, Dorcas, Sirius, Remus , Peter along with two Ravenclaw seventh years all of who looked just as confused as she felt.

"Okay what in Merlin sake is going on here?" Sirius broke the silence, eyes fluttering between James and Aveline. "Did you always get a letter from Dumbledore?"

"Letter," Aveline repeated, her mind moving fast.

Conversation broke out around her as the seventh years tried to figure out why they had all been summoned to Albus Dumbledores office late at night with the exact same instructions to not inform anyone of their whereabouts.

"So you all lied to me then," Sirius huffed dramatically. "Unbelievable."

"Hey!" James exclaimed, clearly offended. "You lied to us too!"

The group was standing in a circle, no one daring to touch the chairs as they waited. Dumbledore nowhere in sight.

It was as James and Lily were bickering (Lily was convinced that this was just something about seventh year and graduation, James was not), that something clicked in Aveline's brain and her stomach dropped.

Her mind flickered to a conversation she had with Fabian and Gideon Prewett when she stood in this room last year about a little organization called the Order of the Phoenix.

"Guys—" she was cut off as the sound of footsteps from up above caught their attention, and all eyes shot up to the sight of Albus Dumbledore descending the stairs with a handful of people following behind him.

Aveline recognized two sets of flaming red hair following the man that brought her a minuscule amount of comfort at the very least — Fabian and Gideon Prewett. Behind them walked Sirius's cousin Andromenda, Frank Longbottom and a couple other vaguely familiar faces that though Aveline recognized she couldn't quite place names.

She watched as they filtered into the room,  Gideon sending her a wink as he took a place standing next to Dumbledore.

For a moment the old man stood basking in the silence, almost as if he was daring someone to break the layer of awkward silence that froze to them like a thin sheet of ice.  His eyes flickered between them, as if he was observing all of them from the inside out.

"I see you all received my letter," he finally broke the silence.

From beside Aveline, stood Peter and the girl could practically feel the fear radiating off the boy. It took everything in her not to reach out and offer him a comforting pat of the shoulder, though she knew he wouldn't appreciate a signal of affection that made him look weak in this moment. Peter's eyes were glued to the ground in front of him, as if meeting Dumbledores eyes was like meeting those of Medusa.

None were sure what Dumbledore was doing, or if this some sort of elaborate test as once again he let the silence wash over the group.

Were they supposed to talk?