Young Love and Big Hearts

When your young, love isn't supposed to make sense. The love felt by a young heart is the type of love that is so delicately messy it's hard to tell where it even starts and ends. It can feel bottomless— like the type of bottomless that makes you feel certainly no one was ever felt that way before, and that it'll never end. It can terrifying— the type of terrifying that makes you not want to even try.

But perhaps most of all, it can exhilarating. For with one lock of the eyes, or one accidental brush of eachothers hand, it could set your whole body on fire. Ignite your soul in a way that only the hearts of the young could.

Love, was a grand word— one that hadn't even danced across Aveline's brain yet when she thought of Remus Lupin. She merely understood that he was very nice to look at, and whenever he was around she felt little butterflies swirling in her stomach.

"Stop eye fucking Lupin would ya?" Marlene was always straight to the point, saying things no one else would ever dare too.

The girls had been sitting in study hall with Dorcas, and perhaps Aveline's gaze had indeed drifted off to where her werewolf friend sat. Taking in the way the afternoon sunlight light up his eyes, the ruffled messy look of his hair as he clenched his jaw, frustrated by the assignment he was trying to work on.

The rest of the girls giggled, washing Aveline's cheek turn red. They were at that age where boys and boyfriends were brought into many conversations. The topic ever circling and swirling amongst them like constant clouds over their heads.

"I'm not," Aveline tried to defend, suddenly finding interest in her herbology textbook she had been avoiding.

"It's fine to have the hots for someone," Marlene told her casually, reaching over and shutting Aveline's book so she couldn't be distracted. "He clearly fancies you too."

"Wait, I thought you guys were already an item?" Mary asked, her eyes confused as she looked at Aveline.

Her blush only intensified. "We are not anything but friends."

"That's debatable," Lily snorted from her book, and Aveline kicked her under the table. "Ow! I'm just saying, you guys can never keep your hands off eachother. It's endearing really."

"I got to say Lupin would be an amazing shag," Marlene joked, and there was another round of blushes and giggles from the girl.

All except Dorcas, who's face clenched as Marlene spoke. Pretending she wasn't listening as she scribbled with her quill furiously.

"She doesn't just want to shag him, do you Aveline?" Lily asked. "He means much more to her, I can tell."

"Nonesense Aveline!" Marlene declared as if Lily was being outrageous. "You don't want a boyfriend— boys are stupid— even ones as pretty and girly looking as Lupin."

"Come off it Marlene, she truly cares for him," Lily bit back.

Aveline merely sat there, her eyes flickering between the two girls as they discuss her feelings that she most certainly did not have. She kept trying to ignore them by sticking her face in her book, but whenever they mentioned his name her heart would beat a little faster. And then she really couldn't help but let her eyes linger on him, really wondering what it would it be like to have him as her boyfriend.

Though she had kiss many people, Aveline had never had a boyfriend nor gone any farther then a cheap party makeout session. The thought of having him as her boyfriend made her cheeks feel warm.