the trials of a bride

The school had seen to plunge into pure darkness by the next morning. Students only walking around in big group, huddled around as if they scared. Eyes constantly checking over shoulders to make sure no one was following. It was a very unsettling feeling knowing danger had been brought into your home— especially one that was supposed to be safe and strong like Hogwarts.

Aveline wasn't that scared, nor did she care as she walked angrily down the hall alone snatching a copy of the daily prophet from someone as she was walking by.

Of course more murders. This time it was a muggleborn witch and her three children. Aveline felt like she wanted to barf just looking at it.

Though nothing could compare to seeing it the horrified faces of some of the younger students. The first years clinging on to eachother as they worried if they were next. That they open up the paper one day to see their family dead.

It was as she rounded the corner she saw a tiny student on the ground. Head in her knees as she bawled her eyes.

She was already late for class, though that didn't stop Aveline.

"Are you quite alright?" Aveline asked gently, setting down her book bag and sitting down beside the girl.

The girl lifted her timid head, sniffles and tear stained cheeks.

"T-t-they a-re gonna kill us all," the girl wheeped, hysterically emotional.

Aveline reached out, comforting patting the girls back.

"I promise you there are so many strong, talented witches and wizards working to protect you," she told the girl. "There are by far more people who want to protect you then hurt you."

She sniffled again, lifting her head to look at Aveline.

"You think?" she asked.

Aveline nodded, standing up and offer the small girl her hand.

"I know so. Now it does is no use to sit on the floor and collect dust does it?" She asked the girl sweetly. The girl shook her head, reaching up and grabbing Aveline's hand. Aveline was expecting her to let go of it's but she didn't, the girl squeezing it tightly as if it was her life line. "What's your name?"

"I'm Maddie," she sniffled.

"Nice to meet you Maddie, I'm Aveline. What class do you have next?"

"Charms," the girl sighed.

Aveline nodded, as the two began making there way down the hall. She chatted with the girl, trying to take her mind of her worries. Asking her what her favourite subject was, and her favourite part about Hogwarts.

By the time they are to charms class the girl had a soft smile on her face. It wasn't much, but she sure was in a much better state then what Aveline found her in.

What Aveline definitely wasn't expecting was for the small girl to give her a wide hug, catching her off guard. Aveline hugged her back, before watching her skip into class with a smile on her face.
____________

Perhaps the only positive thing to come from the death eater attack, was that the Gryffindor girls seemed to be a lot more inclined to hangout with the marauders. Aveline was in her glory having other girls around, for although she had always been friends with Marlene, Mary and Lily, she'd never been particularly close.

It was absolutely delightful, especially the closer and closer she began to grow with the girls.

"Merlin it's a health and safety hazard that those three are so close now," Lily sighed to James one day, as she flopped down on the couch next to him.