Chapter Twenty Five

Multicoloured lights poured out from the glass storefronts. In the baskets hanging from the lanterns along the middle of the street, the flowers had started to change colour. Once bright pink, blue, purple petals were now orange, yellow, light red. But unlike the flowers back home, they didn't wilt or die from the chill that now occupied the midday air.

The streets were almost as packed as those in the city of Zyanya. monsters filed in and out of the stores with red bands on their skin from the heft of bags spread across their arms.

The cotton kept my hands warm in the pockets of the oversized sweater I borrowed from Caeden. All the sweaters Elianna left in my room were far too clean and fancy, it felt like a crime to wear them out of the house.

Mia and Naia hooked their arms with mine, tucking me in between them as we strolled through the city of Ezurie, the shopping district. Even with the slight nip in the air, the sun was almost as bright as the smile on Mia's face.

I tugged their arms, pulling their attention to me. "Do you two spend a lot of time together?"

"Yes, we try to. It's nice to have a break from the others," Mia said, brushing my hair behind my shoulder with her free arm. "And now we're excited for you to join us."

"We spend time together when Mia isn't too busy with Vincent," Naia countered, sending her a wink.

They laughed as Mia waved her hand at the cheeky remark.

"What will the three of them do while we're gone?" I asked.

"Right now they're probably gossiping. And when they tire of that, they'll find something fun to do."

Fun.

"So," Naia drawled, nudging me with her arm. "Who do you like the most? Danver, Vincent, or Caeden?"

Mia cut me off before I could answer, "don't worry, you can pick Vincent if you want. I'll even lend him to you for a day or two. It would be a nice break from his smothering."

"Aww, is Vincent loving on you too much," Naia said mockingly. "Giving you too many hugs? Too many kisses? Poor Mia."

I laughed. But it was no surprise to hear that, with the way Vincent always turned into a giant teddy bear when Mia was around. All she had to do was bat her eyes and he would get her anything she wanted.

"Umm," I hesitated. "I don't know who I would choose. They're all very attractive."

Naia's brows narrowed as if she already knew the answer that I wouldn't admit out loud.

We paused outside a small shop with barely a monster inside. They unhooked their arms from mine before Mia pulled the glass door open, giving me a full view of the front room.

I followed Naia into the cozy shop, taking in the immense variety of clothing spread throughout. Racks of clothes were spread along the walls and set in rows in the center of the front room.

A young woman stood behind the counter on the right. She waved as a wide smile spread across her lips. "Nice to see you ladies. How are you doing?"

"Great. How are you doing, Miss Z?" Naia asked, striding over to the counter.

But Mia grabbed my arm and pulled me to the far side of the shop to where a couple of red couches were tucked in the back corner. Naia and Miss Z followed after us, deep into their own conversation. Naia plopped down on the couch and kicked her feet up onto the oak table set before her.

Mia wrapped her arms around Miss Z, pulling her into a tight hug. "Our friend, Emrys here, is going on a date with Caeden."

Miss Z gasped and whipped her head in my direction. "You're going on a date with Caeden?"