Chapter Four

The bruise had already started to fade, but I couldn't keep myself from staring at it in the mirror. My cheek was still sore to the touch, but I didn't care. The bruise, the pain; it was the only thing that reminded me I was still alive.

I used some of the makeup that Leila brought for me to cover up the mark before I put on the blue dress that she set aside; full coverage and gaudy. A dress appropriate for walking through the nearby city.

I lived on the schedule that had been created for me. Every Saturday, I would take a walk through the city to make the citizens think I was a humble princess who cared about engaging with the people, to make the Royal Family look better. But it was all bullshit.

As the long list of rules dictated, only pleasantries from afar. When I was a soldier, I used to take walks through the city and talk to everyone. If anything, I seemed more like a snobby bitch since I was no longer allowed to talk to them like I used to.

...

The hollow ache in my stomach only worsened as I thought of all the things Prince Roan said to me.

Don't worry about it.

You should focus on the wedding.

We had people for that. I wanted to be involved. I wanted to know what was going on in my Kingdom. Prince Roan kept me in the dark about everything. I didn't bother to ask why. Maybe he didn't think I could handle it. Maybe he didn't trust me.

Why he would want to marry me then- I'd never know.

The streets were not busy at this time of the day. Which only made the walk feel even lonelier than it already did. I told Leila to stay home since she had an upset stomach, so my only companions were the silent guards marching behind me.

I strolled down the paved walkway, exchanging waves and nods with the shop owners, customers, anyone who would give me the time of day. I knew many of them from the time I had spent there before. But all I could do now was watch them from afar.

Watch them smile and talk. Watch them go about their lives as normal. Happy and free.

I noticed an older woman crossing the street ahead of me, carrying bags filled to the brim. Her toe caught the edge of the walkway and she stumbled forward, knees scraping against the stone. Her bags toppled to the ground, dropping everything inside.

My heart dropped. Her knees and hands were scraped up and bleeding. All her groceries were destroyed, squashed and covered in dirt.

I jumped forward to help her. "Are you okay?"

An arm slammed into my chest, forcing the air out of my lungs. The arm dragged me back, pulling me away from her.

"Get your arm off of me before I break it," I hissed, whipping my head to the guard holding me back.

He stayed rigid, unaffected by my threat. The expression on his face was purely scornful. But I noticed the bead of sweat that formed at his eyebrow as he said, "I can't let you help her, Your Highness."

"Then why don't you help her dickhead."

Lips parted, eyes widening and I shoved him toward the lady, who was still trying to push herself off the ground.

Was there no more human compassion left?

Perhaps the stranger was right, monsters were real - we were the monsters.

...

The long white tooth looked even paler against my skin as I held it out in front of me, eyeing it for the millionth time.

The lingering feeling of the stranger's breath on my neck had another shiver climbing its way down my back. The feeling of his fingers on my neck, the feeling of his presence cocooning me.

I fumbled the tooth, dropping it on the table as I heard a ruffle of clothing. I glanced over my shoulder to see Leila strolling into my room.

She strode right for the table where I sat and dragged a worn wooden chair from the corner with her. The old oak creaked and shifted as she slumped back. "Is that the tooth the sexy stranger gave you?"

"No," I replied dryly. "I have a collection of teeth hidden in my desk drawer."

A low laugh sprang from her lips. "Well aren't you so lively today," she chirped. "Who knew we had a comedian on our hands?"

I found myself smiling at the cheer in her voice.

She plucked the tooth off the table and eyed it. "Shall we go sit out in the courtyard and watch the sweaty, sexy soldiers train, milady?"

I shook my head, chuckling both at her suggestion and her nickname for me. I shoved the tooth into the drawer before standing to flatten the wrinkled edges of my dress. "You don't need to call me that."

She rose from her chair gracefully and linked her arm with mine. "We both know you've been called worse in your life, milady."