Chapter Eighteen

I made my way down the mountain slowly, legs and back aching as I rubbed my hands together, trying to keep the frostbite away. But my wet clothes clung to my body, chilling me to the bone. My only source of heat was starting to retreat in the sky and it wouldn't be long before the darkness took over.

Every noise, every rustle in the bushes, every shuffle in the grass; made my heart beat faster and faster. Tears streamed down my face as my pace gradually sped up. What the hell had I gotten myself into?

The hoot of an owl echoed in the wind.

Except it wasn't an owl.

The monsters that lurked in these bushes were scarier than the ones I knew.

My chest rose and fell as I let out a shaky breath. Luckily the bushes weren't too full or tall so I had a clear view of everything around me. I surveyed the area on high alert for any threats or signs of danger. My temper always seemed to get the better of me but walking down that mountain made me realize how badly I had messed up.

The shadow of a horse fell into my vision far off in the distance. There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Sure I could duck into the bushes off to the side, but who knows what other monsters I would find in there.

I pulled out the knives strapped to my thighs and gripped them tight, holding them close to me as I walked faster and faster. I prepared myself for whatever monster I was about to encounter. The sound of the horses' hooves slowed as the shadow got closer and closer.

The face of the monster, perched atop the horse's back, came into view and it was worse than I could have ever imagined.

"Beautiful night for a walk, isn't it?" the Shadow Knight muttered, pulling his horse to a halt in front of me.

I scowled and circled around the horse, continuing past him. There was a small part of me that was glad to see him. Please don't leave me here, I wanted to say.

Wanted to say. But I wouldn't, I would never give in to him.

Footsteps thudded across the ground as he caught up to me. There was no emotion in his voice as he sternly commanded, "get on."

"No."

"Fine. Suit yourself. I wish you the best of luck when the monsters start to come out tonight," he taunted and hurried into a brisk walk.

But as he moved away, increasing the distance between, a brave monster noticed I was soon to be alone and howled.

"Wait," I shouted to the Shadow Knight, sprinting to catch up with him. His horse barely came to a stop before I sheathed my daggers and gripped tightly on his arm, pulling myself onto the horse behind him.

And then, we galloped away. Fast.

...

As we reached a clearing in the middle of the forest, he pulled back on the reins bringing the horse to a halt.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked.

He tossed the reins forward onto the horse's neck before kicking his leg over and sliding down. "Because your clothes are soaked and you won't stop shaking." There was a slight bit of concern in his voice, laced with an extra dose of annoyance.

For a second, I found myself reaching for the hand extended up to me, remembering what happened the last time I didn't take his hand when he offered it. But then he grinned.

I slapped his hand away, rolling my eyes at his arrogance before I slid from the horse in the same manner as he did.

His eyes narrowed as he lifted his hands to his oversized coat and undid the buttons. The warm fur slid from his body, dropping behind him as he caught it one hand. The same hand he then held out to me, offering up his coat. "You need to take off your clothes."