A sinister shadow

Start from the beginning

Past Crystal King: Take me to the place where you revealed your true face for the first time.

(Harumi arrives at the Oni Temple.)

Past Harumi: The Oni Temple.

Past Crystal King: Go to the altar. Place the crystal on the pedestal, like a seed. From it will grow a new dawn.

(Harumi has a flashback to when she betrayed and fought Lloyd in the temple. She then places the crystal into the pedestal.)

Past Crystal King: Excellent.

(The Oni Temple is crystalized.)

Past Harumi: You — you're the Overlord!

Past Overlord: I have had many names. Dark Lord. Golden Master. Crystal King. And yes, Overlord.

Past Harumi: I can't serve you. You'll destroy everything.

Past Overlord: Destruction comes from conflict, from the eternal struggle between light and dark. I will end that struggle. If you serve me, I will destroy the Balance and end the conflict once and for all. There will be peace in the dark.

Past Harumi: I will serve you.

Past Overlord: Good. Then my first command is this: Build me an army.

Past Harumi: I've recruited mercenaries before for the Sons of Garmadon, but—

Past Overlord: I didn't tell you to recruit an army. I told you to build one ... out of Vengestone. Let my enemies' weakness be my strength.

(Harumi bows and leaves.)

Harumi (narrating): Vengestone is difficult to come by. It took a lot of searching, but I eventually found a nearly endless supply.

(She arrives at the Kingdom of Shintaro.)

Past Vangelis: Greetings, Princess Harumi. How good to see you again.

Past Harumi: Vangelis.

Past Vangelis: Unfortunately, we must postpone our negotiations. I have visitors arriving any moment. Visitors I do not think you want aware of your presence.

Past Harumi: What visitors?

Past Vangelis: The ninja.

Past Harumi: The ninja could ruin everything! Your so-called "perfect city" runs on the money I paid for that black market Vengestone!

Past Vangelis: Do you really think I am unprepared for the ninja? I control Shintaro in ways you cannot imagine. (He opens a box, revealing the Skull of Hazza D'ur and transforming into the Skull Sorcerer.) Fear nothing. My Geckle and Munce workers will provide every ounce of the Vengestone your Crystal King requires. And if the ninja are destroyed in the process, so be it.

(Behind them, the doors are knocked. Harumi hides, while Vangelis transforms back to his normal form.)

Past Vangelis: Enter!

Past Hailmar: It is with great honor, King Vangelis, that I present the famed ninja of Ninjago.

Harumi (narrating): But of course, King Vangelis was defeated, putting an end to his Vengestone mines. And the blame for this lay firmly on ...

(In a rice farm, the ninja reveal themselves to Miss Demeanor and her henchmen in a flashback.)

Past Henchman #1: The ninja!

Past Miss Demeanor: Ooh, I've been waiting for this! I've worked so hard to make it to the top. And it's actually happening! Oh, wait, wait, wait, I had a line for this. Oh yeah, I've got a warm welcome planned!