Ch2: A New Dawn

The pain has faded away, a bright light surrounds my vision as I stare at its source. I then feel someone holding my hand and taking me towards it. As I enter the source of light, I hear an angelic voice saying my name.

"Liliana Frostvine, your time has not yet ended. Hope you will be able to cherish your love this time, truly." I hear as my eyes close.

After some time I open my eyes again, and this time I find myself lying on a soft bed. I quickly sit up and look around.

Why does this look like the Orphanage of the Church where I used to live before the Marquess sponsored me?

I get up from the bed, and that is when I realize that my legs are a bit short, I then see my hands, the skin is so soft and smooth. There are no cuts anywhere. I walk towards the other side of the room, where a large mirror stands.

As I stand before it, the reflection staring back at me is nothing short of astonishing. Gone are the lines etched by months of hardship, replaced by smooth, youthful skin. My arms, once calloused and weathered, now appear delicate and unblemished.

Confusion gnaws at me as I try to make sense of this inexplicable transformation. How could I have become younger overnight? And what happened during the time I was unconscious?

The memory of the guards' brutality in the prison still lingers, including the memories of my execution, but the pain that once plagued me is nowhere to be found.

That's when I remember the angelic voice, and realize that I have been given a second chance.

But why?

I think as a memory flashes before me.

............................................................................

"After everything my father did for you, of how we treated you, why did you poison me? What did I do wrong?" Terra asks, with teary eyes, looking pale and sick.

"I did not!" I shout at her as she nearly falls but is supported by Vincent.

"Do not lie to me." He says venomously

"But I didn't!" I try to say but they both walk out, leaving me alone in the darkness of the prison.

............................................................................

The flashback ends as realization struck me.

I was innocent...

It's the reason I have been given this chance, right? The voice, it had said that my time was not over yet.

With trembling hands, I reach out to touch the mirror, as if to confirm that the image before me is real. But as my fingers make contact with the cool surface, a surge of determination washes over me. Whatever the reason behind this miraculous change, I won't waste this second chance.

Suddenly, the door opens and I see Father entering the room with Sister Rosell.

She instantly comes towards me and hugs me tight.

How much I missed her warmth.

"Liana dear! Are you okay? You had us all so worried!" she says as Father chuckles.

"You have been asleep for the past week, with a high fever," he says as I do not move away from Sister's embrace and hug her tight.

I wish I had met them when I had the chance, but I wasted it on Vincent.

"Liana, are you not feeling well?" she again asks me gently as I cry in her arms

"Liana?" she asks worriedly but I keep crying as they share a look assuming I am just scared.

If only they knew what I had endured.

She rubs my back as I start feeling weak and sleepy.

And my eyes closed again, this time in her embrace.