XII. Escape

DUSTIN LIFTED THE door of the vent, poking his head out to check if the coast was clear

DUSTIN LIFTED THE door of the vent, poking his head out to check if the coast was clear. As they got out, Rosie and Erica looked around, seeing the tall glass containers that held the mysterious green goo that Erica still held a sample of in her bag.

As they hopped out of the vent, something caught Dustin's eye that made him smile and run over to it. The curly headed male approached an empty vehicle that the guards used to get around the long, never-ending hallways.

"Do you even know how to drive?" Erica tilted her head, crossing her arms over her chest.

"How hard can it be? Max did it" He brushed her question off as he jumped into the driver seat and Rosie in the passenger seat. Dustin looked around the mobile, huffing when he saw no keys in the ignition.

Erica chuckled, "You seriously thought they'd just leave the keys in there?" She ridiculed as Dustin ignored her, continuing to search the area, "There's gotta be a spare."

He looked over at the red head girl, "Can you..." He trailed off, although Rose already knew what he was trying to ask for. With one, swift movement, a key made of ice appeared in her hand.

Dustin thanked her with a smile, "Nice! Thank you!" He grabbed the icy key from her hand and put it into the ignition, laughing happily when the vehicle started.

"Alright, I think we're good to go" He looked up, his expression changed once his did. "Erica?" He noticed the absence of the younger girl.

Rosie got out the cart to search for Erica as Dustin followed, "Erica?" She called out. The two whipped around, startled, when Erica surprised them with some type of stick-shaped weapon that shot out electricity with a click of a button, creating a loud zapping noise.

Rosie put a hand over her pounding heart, "What is that?" She pointed, trying to catch her breath at the same time. Erica shrugged her shoulders, "A deadly weapon" She answered nonchalantly before pressing the button again, making the other two flinch once more.

"For what?" Dustin questioned, taking a step back, intimidated from the weapon Erica held carelessly in her hands. "What do you think? Taking own Commies, saving your friends."

"Thought you were more realistic than that, nerd" Dustin shot back, giving a playful smile. Erica rolled her eyes and walked towards the vehicle.

"We don't even know where they are and even if we did, there are a million guards up there with weapons way deadlier than that. The best thing we can do for them is to get out of here and find help" Dustin explained as Rosie followed Erica, both girls taking a seat in the cart.

"So, you wanna go all the way back?"Erica deadpanned with bored eyes. "Our chance of surviving, and theirs, rises substantially" Dustin went on.

Rosie disagreed, "That'll take way too long. We're better off saving them on our own" She said, Erica giving an agreeing nod. Dustin's face turned in confused, "How? It's thousands of guards versus the three of us."