NINE

Camilla and I walk down her street, cars line the sides.“Where are you wanting to go,” I ask. “Wherever.” “I kinda want to go on those saucer swings in the park,” I say. “Sure,” she smiles.

We take a turn down her street and walk past the skate park and brown shed. We stop at the playground and both sit on a swing. I sit sideways, facing her. She mirrors my position and crosses her legs.

“There's been so much drama recently,” Camilla groans. “Really? You'd think being out of school would stop the drama,” I say. “Nope. Like, my sister’s best friend got cheated on.” I gasp. “What!? Like Margot's best friend?” “Yeah. Her boyfriend cheated on her with some girl. Madelyn, I think,” she says. My jaw drops.

“I know Madelyn,” I say. “What? You do,” she says. “Yeah she's Jodie's older sister,” I say. “Is she pretty?” “Yeah. Really pretty,” I say. “Ugh that sucks for Lizzy,” she says. “Is that Margot's best friend?” My phone buzzes. “Yeah,” she sighs. I look who texted me

Hazel: Hey, r u coming today?
Me: Yeah, Camilla and I are at the park.
Hazel: Okay, I'm coming. Idk when the rest of the group will come but I'll meet u guys there.
Me: Okay! See you soon!

“Hazel is going to meet us here,” I say. “Okay. Is she the nice one,” she asks. “Yeah,” I say. “Okay,” she smiles.

“Also, Jordan's mom is filing a divorce with his dad,” she says. “What? Really,” I gasp. “Yeah, it's really messy in his family right now,” she says. “Poor guy. That must be hard on him, being the oldest and all,” I say. “Yeah. It's been rough for him,” she says, her lips turning into a frown. “I bet,” I say with a sympathetic face.

"I can't believe he didn't tell me," I say. "He wasn't telling anyone, really," she says.

“Hey guys,” Hazel chimes behind Camilla. “Hey! That was fast,” I say. “Yeah, I live super close to here,” she says. “Oh, you do,” I ask. “Yeah, I live just down there,” she says, pointing behind her.

“Hey, Camilla,” Hazel smiles. “Hey, how are you,” Camilla asks cheerfully. “I'm good. You?” “I'm doing really good, thanks,” Camilla smiles. I scoot over and Hazel takes a seat beside me.

“So how late did you guys wake up,” Hazel asks. “Eleven thirty,” Camilla and I say together. “Oh, not as bad as I did,” she says.

“What time did you get up,” I ask. “Well I only got to bed at 3, so I slept till twelve thirty,” she says. “Oh so you just got up,” Camilla says. “Yeah. I woke up and got ready,” Hazel lets out a laugh.

“So when's everyone else coming,” Camilla asks the two of us. “I'm not sure,” I say, looking at Hazel.

“Everyone kind of just appears. Hardly anyone comes at once,” she says. “Well, you'd know,” I say. “Yeah, I do know. Usually Brianna is last, because that's just how she is,” she laughs. “She is always late, huh,” I say. “Always,” Hazel rolls her eyes. Hazel and I both laugh.

“I think Brianna has a problem with me,” Camilla says. “What? Why would you think that,” Hazel asks. “Well, after Taylor left last night, she kept glaring at me and she was always trying to compete with me. Like, I said that I go to bed around midnight because we were talking about how late it was, and then she said she goes to bed at three am and glared at me,” Camilla says.