Chapter 9

This was Anna's second train ride in this era.

The first time, everything moved too fast, a bit hurriedly, but now, although the schedule is still very tight, she feels as if there is not a single water molecule in the air on her face as it passes through her nose.

This subtle sense of touch all comes from her husband.

Like now, in this small box, Anna looked at her husband.

He sat more casually than at his desk, but he still looked decent compared to ordinary people, always maintaining the appearance of a government official.

"Do you have any questions? Anna." Karenin looked away from the official documents and looked at Anna with his blue eyes.

"No." Anna smiled.

Karenin moved his eyes to his official documents again. Five minutes later, he still felt someone's eyes glued to him.

"Are you sure you don't have any doubts?"

"No." Anna then said, "Maybe there is one."

"You can ask." Karenin pressed his finger on the page and raised his head slightly. His voice was calm and his tone had no ups and downs, but it didn't sound hard. Perhaps it was because his blue eyes under the long eyelashes were looking at others intently, and this gaze did not mean to judge.

"I noticed you weren't wearing your glasses."

"I'm not short-sighted."

"I," Anna licked her lips, and then smiled a little shyly, "I was just thinking about what you would look like if you put on glasses."

"I don't think that will make any difference." Karenin lowered his eyes, indicating that the conversation was over for now.

Anna felt a little sorry.

She looked out the window and held her chin in her right hand.

They had already set out from Petersburg for two hours. The rolling hills were exciting at first, but now they are a bit dull.

The sky is a light blue, with some white birch trees standing upright like sentinels. Although it is not eye-catching now, in spring, it will be green and very beautiful.

She folded her hands unconsciously, turned her face sideways, and smiled while taking in these ordinary scenes.

Being accustomed to the busyness of modern society, life was a little overwhelming at first, but now, everything is fine.

What Anna didn't know was that, despite her decision not to disturb her husband, it was clear that Karenin himself was no longer able to concentrate.

His head was slightly tilted in Anna's direction, and the tall bridge of his nose was cut into a delicate and elegant arc by the sunlight. The eyelashes are neither thick nor curled, and are half-closed, revealing the same light blue as the sky inside.

He looked at his fiancée for a long time and knew that she seemed to be asleep.

Karenin stood up and threw a flannel blanket over Anna's body.

When he sat down, he made sure that Anna would not wake up for a while, and then moved his eyes again, immersing his thoughts in the official document.

Anna didn't know how long she slept, but she woke up with a gentle shaking.

"Am I asleep?" She wanted to rub her eyes, but was stopped.

Karenin took out his own veil and handed it to her.

"Dr. Grachev told me to do this to reduce my chances of getting sick."

Anna took the handkerchief and wiped her eyes, smiling: "He is right, you have a good doctor, he is great!"