1

Please comment and like this chapter - Let me know what you think!

"Does it hurt?" A young woman with dark brown medium-length Afro hair, dressed in a knee-length black skirt and a loose pink shirt covered by a long lab coat asked.

She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose while holding a little boy's hand.

The little boy, small in size, stared back up at her. He had long black hair and dark brown eyes. He pressed his lips into a frown while observing the scientist holding a needle steady.

The boy's blood drifted into the small tube, causing him to stir a bit. The sight disturbed him, but he masked his concern with a blank face. "No." His soft voice came out in a quiver.

"You're a bad liar, Yani." The woman brushed the boy's hair behind his ear.

"I'm finished." The scientist, a tall man with red hair tucked into a low bun, set the needle onto a tray and took off his gloves. Without bidding farewell to the boy, he left the room.

Now left alone with the boy, the woman sighed. She knew she didn't have much time left until she was called back to work. "Yani, do you know what day it is?"

"Monday."

"Mhmm... but it's also your birthday. You're 4 years old today." She grabbed his little hand in hers. It was cold. But that was natural for him. The boy was an extraordinary kid. He would grow to do amazing things in the future.

"Ever since you came out of that incubator, I vowed to look after you." The woman explained in a somber tone.

Although he was an experiment needed for special research purposes, the boy was like a son to her. He was bred and made to be perfect. A one-of-a-kind child, the key to their survival.

"I can't stay here with you, but I'm going to bring you a special treat. You remember what I said about ice cream, right?"

The boy nodded.

"As promised, I'll bring you some. It'll be to celebrate this special day. You'll enjoy it."

"Okay!" Finally, the boy smiled at her.

"I love you, Yani." She pinched his cheek and returned the expression. "Be good, okay?"

"Mm." He accepted.

She collected her clipboard full of important notes regarding the boy's condition and made her way out of the room. The moment she stepped out, the iron doors slid to a close and locked.

A gust full of steam spewed out from the ceiling, sanitizing her whole frame. The chemicals used would rid her of any potentially threatening germs that she may have contracted from the boy.

The steam fizzed out and she walked to her office.

The sound of a robotic female voice over the intercom blocked out the murmurs from the other scientists.

"All personnel from Cubicles 50 and 62, please report to the meeting room on floor 3."

In the distance, two scientists hopped out of their seats in a rush. Without watching their steps, one of them ran into her, causing her to spill her notes. And then he continued without sparing her a glance.

"Rude," She huffed and picked up her things. "You deserve what you're getting." She knew that meeting on the third floor meant job termination.

While organizing all her writings, the voice on the intercom spoke again.