Chapter Thirty-Two

I've just graduated.

I want to meet someone. A man. I want to fall in love.

I told Jordan everything about my past. She had talked me through some of my scars. She encouraged me to move on.

With her help, I think I'm ready.

She's set me up on a date. It's with her friend, Carson. Apparently he's a doctor. I'm glad he's smart.

She's assured me that he's respectful and won't try anything handsy. That's a relief.

He comes into the restaurant. I smile and wave. He sits in front of me. We introduce ourselves and start some small talk.

After we order, he turns to me suddenly. His face is serious. "Jordan told me everything. I just want to start out by saying that I'm sorry for what you went through, and I'll respect your space."

My face pales. The whole point of this date was to move on from that. I don't want to have to think about my emotional baggage. Now, he knows.

I'm mad at Jordan. She should have asked me for permission to tell a complete stranger my deepest and darkest secret. Yet, I do get why she told him.

I stand shakily. "I need to use the restroom. Excuse me."

He goes to say something, but I'm already walking away.

I enter the bathroom. I hide quickly in the stall. I start to cry.

No matter how hard I try to move on with a man, my past will always be there. I can't ever completely escape it.

It was stupid of me to try. I'll always be alone.

Jack's won.

I run out of the restaurant, not bothering to tell him I've left.

I groaned in pleasure as I sank into the warm bath water. Carter had a gorgeous bathtub that I loved to use when I was stressed. Despite getting passed the drama with our families, we still had to worry about Pandora. I was constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering when she would strike next. It was mentally exhausting, and stressing both Carter and me out.

I had opted for a bubble bath that day. I had put jasmine-scented bath oils into the water, lighting around five candles and circling them around the bath since the lights were off. I closed my eyes and leaned against the porcelain, allowing everything to fade.

Just as I started to get into my relaxation, there was a knock on the bathroom door. I groaned, annoyed that I was being disturbed. "Come in!" I shouted.

Carter walked in. I could tell he was about to say something important, but he stopped for a moment to admire my body. I rolled my eyes; he was such a guy sometimes.

"Focus, Carter," I said impatiently, snapping my fingers. "What is it?"

He cleared his throat, eyes moving back to my face. "Well, I hired some professionals to look into Pandora's whereabouts. They're not exactly... police-approved. And—"

"What the hell does that mean?" I interrupted, a frown spreading over my face.

He awkwardly cleared his throat. "Well... that means they're willing to go to lengths that police officers won't. Anyway, they managed to find Pandora."

"That's great!" I gasped, shocked. "Where is she?"

"She was in some abandoned warehouse a couple of miles from here. She had enough weapons to massacre a town and enough drugs to cause a small country to overdose. She's in police custody, and won't be getting out any time soon."