Chapter Twenty-Four

I'm back at school. It's been a month.

No kids know what happened. They ask me why I was gone so long.

I just tell them I went on a trip. I'm not telling them the truth.

I can barely tell myself the truth.

The adults know. I can see it in their eyes. They look at me with pity. Some even pull me aside to tell me they're sorry and they're there for me.

I just act polite and nod. I pretend they're making a difference. It makes them feel better.

I get called to counseling at the end of the day. It's cold in her office. I want to leave.

I just want this day to end. I want every day to end lately.

The counselor wants to "help me." No one can help me. I know she wants me to talk about what happened.

But, I don't want to talk.

I just want to forget.

I want to fade away into a distant memory until I don't exist anymore.

I stared at my ATM receipt. No fucking way.

All I wanted was ten dollars to buy lunch for Carter and me. Ten dollars. I got my ten dollars, but the receipt was staring holes back at me.

My balance was $67,072.

That's $60,000 too much! I hissed at myself. I stood in shock, rubbing my eyes again and again. Eventually, however, I was dragged into reality by the person behind me tapping my shoulder, demanding I move out of the way.

I numbly walked into the car. I was mentally fumbling through my mind where the money had come from. It didn't take me long.

Carter, I mentally hissed. If it was money, he was most likely involved. Especially when talking about a large amount of money.

I drove home over the speed limit, suddenly growing angry. How dare he put money into my bank account without asking me, or even telling me?! Does he think I can't take care of myself?!

I angrily pressed the elevator button, stepping inside and crossing my arms. My mind was swirling. Carter Hackney, you are in deep shit.

"Hey, babe," he said, greeting me by wrapping his arms around me. He frowned when he saw I didn't have lunch and that I hadn't responded to his hug. "What is it?"

I stepped back, throwing my crumpled up ATM receipt at him. It hit him in the face, and I enjoyed a small tinge of satisfaction as he called out in shock. "What the hell, Emma?"

I exploded. "$60,000 dollars! Are you kidding me, Carter?"

He frowned, picking up the receipt. "That's just the money I owe you."

I spluttered, "Owe me? How the hell do you owe me $60,000?"

He remained calm, despite my outburst. "Our agreement was that you would stay and treat me for the course of two months, and that I would pay you for that treatment. That is the money I owe you as my therapist."

I bristled. "Carter, I don't want that money."

He frowned. "Why not?"

I hissed, "Because I earned it by being your girlfriend and loving you. This isn't a job to me, Carter; this is me being in a loving and real relationship with the man that I love. I don't want to get paid for that."