Ni-Ki : Short Cake (Fluff)

Paring: RiKi/Ni-Ki x Reader
Word count: 746
Style: fluff, innocent, slight Romance but mainly friendship
Warning: none

Paring: RiKi/Ni-Ki x Reader Word count: 746 Style: fluff, innocent, slight Romance but mainly friendship Warning: none

Y/N trudged down the high school hallway, her backpack weighing heavily on her shoulders. She sighed, her breath fogging up the glass of the display case she paused beside. A poster of the school's basketball team, with Riki front and center, caught her eye. Riki, the boy who had been her friend since childhood but also her relentless teaser, especially about her height.

"Hey, shortcake!" a familiar voice called out. Y/N turned to see Riki striding towards her, a mischievous grin plastered on his face.

"Really, Riki? Shortcake?" Y/N rolled her eyes, trying to hide a smile.

"What can I say? You're sweet and small, just like a shortcake," Riki chuckled, reaching out to ruffle her hair.

Y/N swatted his hand away, feigning annoyance. "You know, one day I might just surprise you and grow taller than you."

Riki laughed heartily. "I'd like to see that day, Y/N. But until then, I'm the tall one here."

Their banter was interrupted by the arrival of their friends - Jungwon, Sunghoon, Jake, Jay, Sunoo, Heeseung, and Soobin. Soobin, towering over the rest, smiled warmly at Y/N.

"Hey, Y/N. Don't listen to this giant. You're perfect the way you are," Soobin said, patting her head gently.

"Yeah, Y/N. Don't mind Riki. He's just jealous because you're smarter than him," Jay joined in, earning a playful shove from Riki.

The group laughed and chatted as they walked towards the library. Y/N's eyes lit up when she saw a book she had been wanting to read on a high shelf. Without a stool in sight, she began jumping up, trying to reach it.
Riki and the others watched, amusement clear in their eyes. Each jump was accompanied by a little huff from Y/N, her determination both adorable and heartwarming.

"Need some help there, Y/N?" Riki asked, a hint of laughter in his voice.

"No, I can do it myself!" Y/N exclaimed, her cheeks flushed with effort.

Finally, with a triumphant little 'oof,' she grasped the book, only to lose her balance and tumble backward, landing on her butt.

Riki was at her side in an instant. "Are you okay, Y/N?" he asked, concern replacing his earlier amusement.

Y/N nodded, accepting his outstretched hand to help her up. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just my pride that's hurt."

Riki couldn't help but smile. "You're incredibly determined, you know that?"

Before Y/N could reply, a group of students gathered around them, their jeers about Y/N's height much less friendly than the banter she was used to with her friends.

Riki's expression darkened. "Hey, back off. She's not your punching bag," he said, his tone ice-cold.

The bullies, taken aback by Riki's sudden protectiveness, dispersed quickly. Riki turned to Y/N, his gaze softening. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Y/N nodded, touched by his concern. "Yeah, thanks, Riki. I didn't know you cared that much."

"I've always cared, Y/N," Riki said quietly. "I know I tease you, but I'd never let anyone hurt you."

Y/N smiled, feeling a warm glow in her chest. "I know, Riki. And I don't mind your teasing. It's just how we are."

As the days passed, Riki's teasing became less frequent and more gentle. He found himself watching over Y/N more, ensuring she was always safe and happy. The little jokes and playful jabs were still there, but there was an underlying tenderness that hadn't been there before.

Y/N noticed the change in Riki. "You're being unusually nice to me. What's up?" she asked one day as they walked home from school.

Riki shrugged, a faint blush coloring his cheeks. "I guess I realized that I don't need to tease you all the time to be close to you. I just want to make sure you're okay."

Y/N smiled, feeling a surge of affection for her tall, protective friend. "I appreciate that, Riki. And just so you know, I've always enjoyed our banter. It's what makes our friendship special."

Riki grinned, relieved. "Good to know, shortcake. But just for the record, I'm still going to call you that."

Y/N laughed, shaking her head. "I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Riki."

As they continued their walk, the setting sun cast a warm glow over them. In that moment, Y/N realized how much their friendship had grown and deepened, blossoming into something more meaningful than just playful teasing.