Chapter 8

The city's power was running out, and quickly. The buildings which were once bright thanks to its artificial lighting, and the streetlights which once shone the streets in the dark were flickering and others were fully off. The lights were not all on in the buildings, making it hard to tell if the power was out or was still running. The homes, the streetlights, and some buildings like stores helped the group identify the power.

     4178 looked at a candy store, empty from all the sweets except the black licorice, had its light flicker a few times and then go out. No darkness fell on it thanks to the bright sun of near spring. "Powers going out..." 

     The message traveled from 4178 all the way to 206 who stood twenty something people away from him. His head turned as he inspected the buildings, "With no power the Devins will be forced to go back to work. The riot may end because of this." 

     "And if it doesn't?" Asked one of the five assigned leaders of the raid.

     "My plan will still work. I will take control, but the situation of the riot will be taken care of by the nature of Devins to survive and thrive." His ingenious plan causing a cold smile to appear.

     3007 watched their surroundings, 4178, and the kid. Multitasking to keep everyone safe, they were able to spot movement from an alleyway. They stared at the darkness caused by the shadows of the buildings all around and inspected it with strain in their eyes. No movement but a shape resembling a Devin was outlined. "There's someone there!" 3007 whispered to 4178 and made sure not to point at the area but instead eyed it intensely. 

     4178 froze and corrected himself quickly, forcing himself to walk at his normal pace. His head turning ever so slightly to the left and his eyes side-eyeing the alley, he spotted the figure. 'Who is that?' Wondering if this was a dangerous person, he warned 206 by spreading the message until it arrived to him. The message spread quick and the message from 206 arrived even quicker. He wanted them to stand guard but not to cause any attention or confront the person. It could be someone looking for supplies, and if they were dangerous, there were twenty-two people to protect each other's lives. 

     3007 let go of 1663's hand and wrapped their arm around his shoulder, bringing him close to their side. No one would harm this boy, 3007 assured themselves, feeling as if they were the only one threatened by this figure. 

     They all walked passed the alley and out of view, feeling relief once more that no one attacked, 206 reminded them that they could come back and that others could be lurking. And sure enough, he was correct. Because a few minutes passed of peaceful walking when a group of ten Devins appeared from the shadows and obvious spots where the sun shone on them, exposing them to the world. They were all tall, skinny, yet muscular. With weapons creatively designed just like 206's gang, they felt more threatening than the group of twenty-two. They had created bows and arrows from wood, obsidian, and jasper. 

     3007 noticed this and was both terrified and confused. Terrified because of how sharp obsidian and jasper were if sharpened and used correctly. Confused because they had no idea where they found those minerals. Mined out to extinction and all destroyed, making it illegal to own any, 3007 was baffled how they still had them. Where had they been hiding them if not destroyed. And why had the council not found out about this crime; information withheld from authorities would be celebrated and rumored. 

     No one else seemed to notice what the weapons were made of; maybe no one knew what those weapons were made of. Nevertheless, weapons could kill them, and they all became tense as they drew their weapons closer to them. 206 looked around and tried to find the leader of the group, wanting to talk it out with them.