Prologue

I was about to board the train to Los Angeles, although my mother had other plans. "Mom..." I groaned, smacking her hand away. She was continuously licking her handkerchief and attempting to clean my face with her saliva. "I'm not eight anymore - I'm nineteen!"

My mother stared at me tearfully, then nodded. "I know, dear, I know. Where has the time gone? It just seems like yesterday you were throwing up all over your Aunt Marie's expensive cashmere sweater."

I hid my face in my hands as it heated up in embarrassment, and I distinctly heard my father's chuckle. My mother sighed, then abruptly pulled me into tight hug, sobbing into my shoulder. I patted my mother's back awkwardly, unsure of what to do. I had never been good with displays of emotion like this. Throwing my dad a look, he put his hands up as if to say, "Don't look at me, she's your mother."

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, my mother pulled away and planted a kiss on my forehead. She smiled widely and murmured, "Be good. I love you."

I grinned and replied, "I love you too, Mom."

Making my way over to my father, he welcomed me with open arms. He was a good five inches taller than me, clocking in at six feet. "I love you, Dad." I mumbled into his chest, tears brimming my eyes. It was hard, the thought of leaving him. There were times when it was only he who understood me.

"I love you too, Kathie." he said, kissing my hair. He pulled away and held my shoulders. "Make me proud."

I smiled slightly and nodded, picking up my lone suitcase and guitar case. Trudging to the steps of the train, I waved to both of them and boarded. As I sat down in my compartment, the train started moving. My parents' faces were lost in the kaleidoscope of unfamiliar ones that flew past as the train exited the station. The confidence I felt earlier was starting to dwindle - Los Angeles better come fast.

My name is Kathleen Lennox, or Kat Lennox since I can't very well stand my given name. I'm nineteen-years-old and I wanted a fresh start; I wanted to be somewhere other my small town that I grew up in. The town where everyone knew your name and whereabouts and hopes and dreams - I had to leave. What better place than Los Angeles? The reason I'm heading to the city is to find work, specifically for a TV show, though casting call only asked for men. I know it says "male", but it never hurts to try. So that's why I'm heading to Los Angeles - who know what will happen once I arrive.