Chapter 4: A Bonus Chapter

Começar do início

The theoretical classes were interesting but just a bit less exciting than combat simulation and battle strategizing. And it wasn't always easy to remember everything. But some events, like the Riders Rebellion, most definitely stood out. Alexis read the account as often as she could find time to spare. Cato, a well-known Magi chronicler, recorded the event in his book, Inter-Realm Riders: A Complete History:

There had risen to prominence within the elite guard a certain recruit named Sidereus. Having displayed remarkable skill and an apparent disposition toward command, he became the favorite to fill the third and presently vacant Rider Vice General position. Upon receiving the prestigious promotion, he was entrusted with the command of a third of the Riders that made up the entire guard. Aside from his obvious skill, the newly appointed Rider Vice General seemed to be exceptionally charismatic and had no problem gaining the respect of his subordinates. This respect soon began to border worship, and over time blurred the line altogether.

Since the elite guard's primary allegiance is meant to be to the King, the rapid and unusual increase in loyalty Sidereus had amassed became a source of growing concern for the other two Riders Vice General as well as the Rider General.

Early in his career, Sidereus would undergo a series of apprehensions in response to allegations of conduct either on his part or on the part of his legion having been interpreted as undermining the Rider General or even King Dominus himself. Most of these apprehensions dealt with cases opened upon his return from inter-dimensional missions where it became manifest that Sidereus had a bit of a conqueror's appetite. As the King would often dispatch Riders to aid neighboring Realms in need, various reports and complaints were submitted regarding Sidereus and those under his command acting in ways that violently propagated superiority over beings from other Realms and even other Rider legions.

More frequently and more publicly Sidereus began voicing his frustration with King Dominus for not using his authority to crack down on these neighboring Realms and not forcing those he deemed 'fit' to be forcefully conscripted to Euangelion. His diatribes escalated to the point where he would, on at least three occasions, question the King's reasoning in bursts of impertinent rage while in the presence of prominent Riders during tri-legion council meetings that the Rider General presided over. The last of these occasions ended in a physical altercation between Sidereus and the Rider General after Sidereus proceeded to question not only the King's reasoning but also his authority. He was ordered to retract his statement and submit to his superior, but the witnesses confirmed that he only responded with two words, "make me."

The two Riders were neck in neck in the tussle, Sidereus was an exceptionally skilled fighter but the Rider General was stronger and managed to overpower him. Thereafter he was officially and formally accused to stand trial for treason. He was escorted out of the main hall of the tri-legion headquarters but the Rider General and remaining Riders Vice General underestimated how many of Sidereus' loyal legionaries had been present at the meeting. The Riders escorting Sidereus were ambushed by a large group of his legionaries who successfully managed to smuggle him back to his castle on griffonback which was conveniently stationed on the edge of their Air Tribes' domain.

Tensions had reached its apex and neither Sidereus nor his followers intended to go down without a fight. The newly-branded Rebel proceeded to mobilize the entirety of his legion for war. Though his forces were outnumbered 2-1, Sidereus had always been arrogant and firmly believed that those under his command were more fierce and eager for battle than the other two legions combined.

Some have reported that at the time of these events, he had also been entertaining some rumors about a potential weapon that could kill an immortal, and often sent small groups of Riders on inconspicuous quests to try and validate these rumors. Some even say he sanctioned secret expeditions but these claims remain unverified.

What followed was a civil war of magnanimous proportions that would forever devastate the Riders' contingent.

Rider fought against Rider, griffon against griffon, loyalists against rebels - a truly bloody and terrible sight to behold. The fighting stretched from air castles to hilltops and spread out as far as the valleys on the Euangelion mainland. For a short period and to all the loyalists' alarm, it did seem that Sidereus' legion was a lot more eager and inclined to wage war against their brothers in arms than the loyalist coalition had been. Not only were they caught off guard while the rebels had been preparing, but Riders warring among themselves was also an unprecedented event.

However, any odds that may have been stacked in the rebels' favor vanished almost instantly when Prince Salvatore aback his trusty Pegasus, Bema, surrounded by his private guard had joined the battle. His legendary sword cut through the rebels like butter. Sidereus grew more erratic in his orders when news of the Prince's involvement reached him. Salvatore was by far the most skilled warrior in the Realm; his presence and performance would most definitely encourage the loyalists' morale and determination to crush the rebellion with all their might.

And so they did, quickly, and harshly.

By the time Salvatore's demand for unconditional surrender was accepted, the rebellious legion was reduced to half its original size.

The remaining rebels were effectively banished to the Realm of Nullius Terram to await their final judgment from Lex Et Ordo. In the interim, the exiled rebels were stripped of their Euangelion titles as Riders and severed from the old magic tying them to the land. As the leader of the Rebellion, Sidereus was not only stripped of his title as Rider but of his Euangelion name. He was given a new name, a dark and pejorative name, a name that would leave no confusion as to what he is to those who would utter it.

"Diabolus," Alexis would mouth as she'd conclude the chapter.