Chapter 7 - Rick Grimes

“You never heard of Rick Grimes?
He's like- the coolest cop ever!”

Just as Goldie predicted, when she, Judy and Lois came back to the ranch, the two girls got yelled at by the young Blackburn's older sister. Although, Jeremiah wasn't so angry at the two girls, since they brought a new survivor to their little-like camp. Having someone like Lois was a big plus since she was a nurse and probably was able to patch up many wounds and treat people with the right medication.

A few days gone by and Doug took his grief to another level. He decided to talk it out to the Trevor guy he and Matt met through the police radio. They talked every day and both Matt and Doug gave the man directions how he and his brother would be able to find them. Of course, they had in mind that this man could be dangerous, they weren't that stupid. After all, they were still police officers, they knew the tactics of the bad people and thiefs.

"You lost someone Trevor? In the... you know, the fall." Doug spoke to the radio mic again, as he was sat in the police car that was parked on the ranch's driveway.

The fall, that's how they called it a while ago, the way the world has gone to shit and the dead started walking around. There was silence for a moment on the other side, the only thing heard was the crackle of the radio as the brown-haired man waited for any response while staring absentmindedly at the microphone in his left hand, biting on his bottom lip.

"Yeah... yeah, I did." Trevor said finally, making Doug almost jump in his seat as he wasn't prepared for sudden reply. "I don' know what to tell you, though. I didn' lose a kid, man. I lost a friend, a father and my mom but she chose to... to die." He added after a second and it was heard that he struggled to say it to the cop.

"How did you- how did you went through all that? All that grief? Pain?" Doug pushed, wanting to keep his mind off his dead son. He needed answers though, like as if it would ease his pain.

"It wasn' easy. I struggled for some time, but my brother was the one that kept me sane. He was there, he still is. That's what 'm holding onto." Trevor admitted softly and Doug felt a slight, sad smile tug on his lips.

"It's good you have some family left, Trevor. I hope you two will like our little piece of safe space when you'll arrive." Brennan said more warmly, meaning the words.

"F'sure, Brian could use seeing more people that aren' me. He's just gettin' unbearable..." The man joked at what Doug couldn't help but chuckle softly. He liked that guy.

"Oh, I believe... When you get here, I owe you some beer."

"Make it a whiskey, man. I ain' drinking beer, 'm not a big fan." Trevor retorted at what Doug smirked slightly.

"Then it's a deal, Trev. I'm going to leave you for now, gotta spend some time with the family I have left." Doug responded, clicking the little button on the side of the mic before he placed it back in the holder.

"I can' wait to meet 'em!" Was the last thing Trevor said before the green dot on the front of the police radio went black again, what meant that the man turned it off.

Doug got used to it by now. Talking with Trevor about his struggles, Trevor sharing a bit of his life and his struggles and then both of them turning the radio's off so the battery wouldn't run out so quickly. As he got out of the police car he was in and closed the door behind himself, he narrowed his eyebrows at seeing Matt approaching him. They haven't talked much since what happened to Luke, even though Matt wanted, Doug needed some time to fully recover. When the blonde man in the cowboy hat was just three steps away, Doug tilted his head to the side in the questioning manner, waiting for any words.