Chapter 5 - Broken promises

“If you break a promise, no matter what you'll do, you'll always be a liar after that.”

It was early morning when Matt and Kristine pulled their car up to the grate that covered the entire city, now under the control of the walking dead.

"I don't see any, they must have gone somewhere else..." the woman muttered as she used a pair of metal pliers to cut the fence enough for the two of them to get through and into the city.

Matt frowned, adjusting his cowboy hat and wrapping his arms around his torso as he watched Becker make them way through the mesh.

"I hope there aren't too many of them where we're going... They scare me." The blond man replied, sighing softly as he walked closer to the net and handed the woman one of the bags.

Kristine just rolled her eyes, not reacting to his words. Nonetheless, once they passed the net and were within the city limits, they moved quickly toward one of the nearest shops. The street was empty, with no corpses or living corpses to attack them, which seemed a little strange to them. However, they didn't want to think about it, but concentrated on the task at hand, because by the time everyone got up, they should be back.

A while later, as they both entered the small market and started to pack food, water and some basic necessities, Matt's eyebrows furrowed as a thought occurred to him.

"Wait, you closed the entrance gate, didn't you?" Matt asked suddenly and the dark-skinned woman suddenly stiffened. "Kristine, tell me you closed the gate." Wilson repeated, approaching the woman with a quick step and grabbing her arm to make her face him.

Kristine pursed her lips into a tight line and let out the breath she was holding in, jerking her arm out of Matt's grasp.

"Sure. Who do you think I am?" The woman snorted, scowling as she turned her back on the blonde and continued to pack the necessary items.

Inside, however, as Becker thought about how easy it was for her to lie about this, she felt a strange tightening that she ignored. What was going to happen was going to happen whether she closed the gate or not.

At the same time, Jenny and Doug were sitting on the couch at a small table in their RV, along with Tommy and Luke, who were drawing something on a wooden table. The blonde smiled slightly as she put her arm around one of her sons, brushing some of the dark curls from his forehead.

"What are you drawing?" She asked softly, looking over her son's shoulder at the drawing.

"The farm, Aunt Joan said we were going to see horses today. Tommy would rather see some dinosaurs." Luke spoke up and looked at his mother, who laughed softly.

Doug also laughed softly from above his coffee cup, shaking his head slightly as he set it down on the table and put his arms around both sons.

"If I promise to show you real dinosaurs tomorrow, will you finally eat breakfast?" The man asked, glancing between the twins before nodding at their bowls of cereal.

Jenny just cocked her head sideways with a look of amusement as she watched her husband try to bribe their children to eat. However, she did not expect the brunette's plan to work and after a moment she watched their sons eat their oatmeal. A few moments later, when the two boys had finished their breakfast, they decided to leave their parents' RV and go get Goldie and Judy so they could play with them. The twins were very fond of Judy and their aunt's younger sister, who was close in age to them. Only three years apart, which was no big deal to them.

When the twins went to pick up the two girls, Jenny was busy washing dishes and Doug was busy cleaning his gun. Jenny didn't see the need for it, but she preferred it to another argument over a gun, which was in short supply these days. But not ten minutes had passed when both Brennans heard a scream. A childish scream.