Chapter 4 - Radio crackle

"Radio, a device mostly used to listen to the music being broadcasted there and daily news but also used as a communication device in tough times."

Two days have passed since the recent events. Everyone, or almost everyone, has gotten used to what role they have been assigned and what their lives will be like for the next few days and even weeks. However, a lot has happened in these two days.

Doug, along with Matt, went to a neighboring town to get some supplies, mostly necessities, and came across an RV that had been left behind. It was quite large, had an extra trailer, and the brunet himself offered to take it. After all, if all this was never going to be fixed, he didn't want to continue sleeping in Joan's father's guest room with his kids and wife.

So it was that the Brennan family had their own modest portable home. Although their twins, the cutest boys Joan had ever seen, weren't too sure about the trailer they were going to share, they didn't want to argue too much. It was still better than sleeping in a room with their parents. That day, however, while Matt and Doug were busy barbecuing and sipping beer, Joan and Jenny were busy taking care of the kids.

"Listen, the kids are heavy..." The brunette began, watching the blonde standing next to him turn over the meat and sausages on the grill. "You think it's a miracle of birth, blood from your blood.... Not that it isn't, but all three of them have character after their mother. It's exhausting sometimes, you know?" He added after a while, taking a big gulp of his beer.

Well, Doug Brennan and his stories about fatherhood. How informative.

"I remind you that when the twins were born, you were in seventh heaven and wanted to name them both after Star Wars characters." Only Matt said, looking at his friend with a mischievous grin on his face.

At the younger man's words, the green-eyed man rolled his eyes and snorted, his arms wrapped around his torso. Still, he had to admit that what his friend was saying was true.

"Look, the fact that I wanted to call them Luke and Anakin has nothing to do with it," he said.

"It doesn't? Really? And you're telling me that?"

"Yes, but let's not forget that at least one of them has the name I wanted." Doug announced, as if he wanted to end the topic, although he was the one who started it.

"Well, unfortunately Luke became your little Luke Skywalker." Matt mumbled, laughing softly at the thought.

But just as Doug was about to reply with something funny, the police radio in the radio car crackled. Both men looked at each other, their eyebrows furrowed in an unmistakable grimace. This could mean a lot, like they were not alone after all.

"Hello? Can anyone hear me? Over." A deep, male voice suddenly came over the police radio.

The two men standing by the grill moved toward the car, but the one who grabbed it was Matt. He pressed a button on the side of the speaker, took a shuddering breath, and looked at his friend.

"We read you loud and clear. Over." He finally said with dark eyes, but the words sounded a bit like it cost him everything to say them.

"Fuck, finally! Okay, my name is Trevor. This is the third frequency I've tried, and so far you're the only one who's responded." The voice on the other side began, sighing softly. "My brother and I are some... hell, I don' even know how far we are from Oregon. 'm not a cop, but I guess you are. Over." He added after a moment and Matt couldn't hold back a small laugh.

Well, whoever this Trevor was, he was right. Matt was a policeman, he was, because the police probably didn't exist anymore like the rest of the world. The blond man adjusted his cowboy hat and pressed the button again, licking his lips as he began to collect his thoughts.