Chapter 6 - Faith

“Cause when you lose faith,
you pray to the god above for mercy.
It's just that sometimes he doesn't respond.”

It has always been said that after the storm comes the sun. That someday the snow would melt and the flowers would bloom. However, in Doug and Jenny's opinion, this was not the case. They decided to hole up in their RV for a long time, not going out to see the Blackburn family unless one of them came to visit. Their older son decided to move out of the trailer he shared with Luke and into his parents' RV after the recent events, knowing that if he stayed in the trailer any longer, everything would remind him of his dead brother.

Still, he didn't want to forget him; after all, Luke had been a part of his life for a long time. That's why, when he moved from the trailer to the RV, he made sure to bring along a few Luke figurines that he liked. He took a Velociraptor figurine, a Spider-Man figurine, and a T-Rex figurine.

He remembered well how much Luke loved the T-Rex while he admired the velociraptors, so he put the two figures side by side on the windowsill of the RV to symbolize him and Luke. Only a few days had passed and he still felt like it was yesterday and still couldn't get a word out. The problem was that he wanted to talk, he wanted to say something, that he missed Luke or something, but he couldn't. It was as if what had happened had taken away his voice. He didn't like it, disliked it terribly, but since he couldn't do anything about it, he decided to just start drawing to express what he meant. He began to get the hang of it, and even though he still couldn't get the words out, his parents began to understand him again.

But that afternoon, when Goldie and Judy decided to take a walk around the ranch, the younger dark-haired girl had an idea, and the older one tried to talk her out of it.

"We shouldn't. Don't you remember what your sister's fiancé said about this town? It's full of them, and if we make too much noise, we become a free snack." Judy protested, arching her eyebrows.

"Oh come on, we'll just go to one place and that's it. No one will even notice we disappeared for five minutes." The dark-eyed girl muttered exasperatedly, crossing her arms over her chest.

Blake just wrinkled her nose, not liking the idea. On the other hand, she didn't want to leave Goldie alone, knowing that with her temperament and stubbornness, the girl would be able to make her way into town on her own. So a few minutes later, the two of them slipped out of the ranch and quietly made their way to the neighboring town. It didn't take them long to reach the first buildings of the town and to see hundreds of dead people walking aimlessly.

They didn't know if it was pure luck or fate, but so far none of the dead had spotted them, which was a good sign.

Without making much noise, the two girls moved to the back of one of the closer grocery stores and climbed up to the roof to get a better look at the area. Goldie was here because of a one thing, but she wasn't sure if what she was looking for would be right here. Still, she believed she would find it.

As they sat on the roof and looked around, Judy sighed softly and bit her lower lip nervously.

"I don't like it, there are a lot of them here... why did we even come here?" She suddenly asked the dark-eyed girl who abruptly turned to face her.

"Because I have to get something from the hospital, Juds." The brown-haired girl replied and Blake raised her eyebrows in shock.