Chapter: 34

I just pretend that I'm in the dark and
I don't regret 'cause my heart can't take a loss
I'd rather be oblivious
I'd rather be with you

                    •Alessandra•
I take a deep breath while standing infront of the huge black building infront of me. I check the address Sebastian sent me for the thousandth time incase I'm at the wrong place. 

Sebastian said Madox is dangerous. But he won't kill me right? I'm their queen after all.

The guards at the entrance stop me from going inside.
"Who are you?"
"I'm Adriano De Santè's wife. I want to meet Madox."
Both of the guards look at me with a raised brow making me sigh. I pull my phone out of my pocket and show them our wedding picture, the one Aunt Maria clicked excitedly when we were taking our vows. I'm glad that I didn't delete this picture.

They nod in affirmation then clear the path for me to step inside. A guard follows me all the way to Madox's office. I feel slightly uncomfortable here as this place gives off so much dark vibes.

Stepping out of the elevator, I follow the guards towards the huge black gates. One of the guards whisper something to the one standing infront of the gate making him nod. He goes inside the room while I wait.

"You are allowed to go inside," he says as soon as he comes out. The door opens and I step inside. The room is dark but the interior can be still seen. There is a huge desk in the room which is covering most of the space of the room. The chair rotates and I find a man who is probably in his 50's stare at me deeply. Tattoos are all over his neck and his arms. He is wearing a black shirt and his sleeves are rolled up. He has a cigarette in his hand from which he takes a puff occasionally. He is already giving off scary vibes. I wipe my sweaty palms over my jeans out of nervousness.

He eyes me down from head to toe making me uncomfortable.
"Not bad," he says and chuckles darkly.
"Why are you here, little girl? Oh right you are allergic to cigarette," he says while discarding the cigarette butt in the ashtray.

"What? Surprised?" He asks smirking.
"I know everything that's going on in the underground world. Nothing stays hidden from me. Now what are you here for? I wasn't informed that you will be visiting."
I clutch the hem of my tshirt tightly in my fists then start,
"I'm here to ask you a question."
He chuckles with an amused glint over his features.
"Go on little girl."

I take a deep breath then ask him,
"Did you know Serena Williams?"
His face instantly turns dark at the mention of mom's name.
"What about her?"
"I'm her daughter, Alessandra Marquez."
If he is surprised by my answer, he doesn't show it.

"What do you want from me Alessandra?"
"I learnt that- m-my mother's death wasn't an accident a few days ago. I've the information that she was mmmeeting y-you."

I take another deep breath then continue
"Are you perhaps, do you know what happened to her?"

He gets up from his chair and makes his way towards me making me step back. When he is near to me I look down at my feet in fear making him lift my chin with his thumbs. He brushes his thumb over my cheeks making me uncomfortable. I try to scoot but it doesn't help because he grips my wrist painfully making me wince.
"Stop whatever you are doing little girl. Stop before you regret it."

The door of his office room slams open and Adriano steps inside. Madox lets go off my wrist making me rub the place.
"What are you doing here?" Adriano asks, his eyes are red, his veins popping out of neck and his hair is messily spread over his forehead. He looks like he is going to murder someone and that's probably going to be me.

"Your girl was trying to dig out some old shit. Tell her to go and study," Madox says while sitting on his chair. Adriano gritts his teeth while looking at Madox while I stand there almost at the verge of crying.

"Come here," Adriano says looking at me. I look at him with teary eyes and his eyes softens immediately. I go to him and he wraps his arms around me and leads me out of Madox's office not before giving Madox a glare.

Adriano drives the car inhumanely not caring about the traffic rules while clenching and unclenching his jaw. What did I do to piss him off like that? He turns to another road, not choosing the one that leads to the mansion. I grow nervous and clutch the hem of my tshirt tightly, almost tearing the fabric.

He stops the car at a secluded place and steps out of it.
"Get out," he says harshly making me flinch. I gulp and try to stop my tears. The last thing I want right now is to face his wrath.

He pulls me by my wrist painfully making me cry in pain.
"What were you doing there?" He asks in his cold yet dangerous voice. He squeezes my wrist even more painfully when I don't reply.
"How the fuck do you know him and what the fuck were you even doing there Alessandra?" He yells on my face making me close my eyes. He slams me onto the side the door. I bite my lips to suppress the pain.

"You think you can get away without answering me? You are fucking wrong," he growls. I know he is trying to be patient with me but he is loosing it every second.

I don't want to tell him why I went there and I won't. Why should I? He is just a nobody in my life, just a stranger whom I've known for only a few months.

"Fucking answer-"
"Stop it!" I yell, pushing him with all my strength catching him off guard.

"Fucking stop it! I don't feel the necessity to tell you why I went there! I can do whatever the fuck I want and you are no one to judge! Stop trying to control my life! I'm not your puppet!" I yell with all my strength, tears streaming down my face. I've had enough of his bullshits.

"Oh really? Now I'm controlling your life?" He asks sarcastically.
"Yes, you are! And who the fuck are you? Tell me! I don't even know you! You are just a mere stranger in my life and yet you try to act like you own me."

"Because I do own you, got it?" He says this time pulling me by my wrist making me land on his chest.
"No you don't," I say trying to be free off his grip.
"Yes, I do, I fucking do! Every inch of your body is owned by me and you can deny it all you want but it's not going to change the fact!"

"Fact, you say?" I chuckle sarcastically.
"Do you know why people leave you, Adriano? Because you force them to," the words leaves out of my mouth without a second thought and he stiffens in his track.

Before I realized what I said, I had already done the damage because he lets go off my wrist and turns his back at me.

"Adrian?" I call him but he stays at his spot and balls his fists. After staying like that for a while he silently walks to the driving seat. Getting inside the car, he silently waits but doesn't tell me to get in. I take the cue and get in.

I look at him occasionally while he drives. His face is devoid of any emotion as he focuses on the road. He doesn't speak a word and drives at a normal speed. I shouldn't have said that. I literally hit the most sensitive spot of him. No matter how brutal he is, he is still a human, just like me. He might not show it but I know my words have tore him apart.

He halts the car infront of the mansion. I unbuckle my seatbelt and look at him to find him looking at the front. He won't even look at me now.

I slowly get out of the car and when I close the door, a loud rumble is heard before he accelerates making me flinch slightly and speeds off the driveway.

I was so blinded in anger and hurt that I didn't realize what I was doing was wrong. He trusted me when he told me about his life and I hurt him. I look at his car which is now disappearing from my sight and I feel like a piece of my heart is being ripped away from me.