Chapter: 02

"They paint me as a villain,
       I just autograph the artwork."     
                                                ~Lil Wayne

                        •Adriano•
"We found him." Xavier said while putting the files on my desk.
"Deal with him. I don't feel like going there." I said.
"But Agnolo told me to make sure you deal with him."

I sighed in exhaustion. I didn't want to deal with him. I'll fucking loose my shit if I see him in front of me. Fucking bastard. He thought he would get away with the money without us getting a hint of it?

"Get the cars ready. We are leaving."
"Adriano? I've something to tell you."
I motioned Xavier to speak while checking the files he placed on my table earlier.

"It's about Arnald." I looked at Xavier at the mention of my brother's name.
I put the file on the desk and asked him, "Did you get anything?"

"Like you ordered I've put some men behind him to see where he goes and I've been informed that he follows a girl everyday."
I looked at him with a raised brow.

I've been noticing the change in his behavior for a few days now. I knew that something was wrong. I didn't inform papà about it. I knew better than that.

"Who is she?" I asked Xavier coldly.
"She is a bartender. Her name is Anna. She works in the bar Arnald has been frequently visiting. Her parents live in California and she lives in New York due to study purposes. Her family condition isn't that well. Her mother is suffering from blood cancer. They need a lot of money to get her treated. Arnald met her at the bar. They had a one night stand. Arnald paid her to spend the night with him. After that night he follows her everywhere she goes. The girl doesn't like him that much, I can tell. She didn't want to do anything with him after that. She tries to avoid him most of the time. Our men took some pictures of them together." He placed the pictures on my table.

I took the pictures from the table and took a look at them. So that girl sold her body for money? She doesn't look like a slut to me. She looks pretty innocent.

"So my little brother is in love, eh? Keep an eye on his every movement. I've a feeling that he is up to something."
"As you say Adriano." Xavier bowed and left the office.

Xavier is a lot older than me. He has been working for us for almost 30 years now. At first his father used to work for my grandpa. Then he worked for my father. Now he is working for me. For me, he is different from all the other employees. He took care of me when I was a child. Treated me like his son and still does. So when papà wanted to appoint someone to work as my right hand man, I chose him.

I placed the pictures back on my table. I know Arnald isn't in love. That girl is just his obsession for a while. He will throw her out of his life once he gets bored.

I took my coat and exited my office building to find Xavier holding the door of my Mercedes for me to get in. It took less than 30 minutes to reach there.

My grandpa never liked the idea of having a basement to torture his enemies in our villa. So he had a separate building made to do the work. He always said, "One should keep their personal and professional life seperate." And this was his way of keeping his professional and personal life seperate. I liked this idea of him.

I went inside the room where Tom was tied up to a chair unconscious.
"Wake him up," I ordered one of my men. He dumped a bucket of water on his head. Tom slowly opened his eyes and looked at me adjusting his vision.

He let out a laugh in exhaustion and said, "I thought you wouldn't come. Glad to see you here Adriano." I looked at him blankly and said, "Well, had to finish what you had started." He let out a small chuckle and looked at me.

"You knew about this before, didn't you? Why did you wait this long? You couldn't have killed me."
"Because It's kind of fun to play with people, especially people who are idiots like you. Have you ever played snake and the ladder Tom? It's kind of like that. You felt you were winning that you could run away with the money and we won't even know. So, I made you feel like you were winning then threw you back to where you were first, the starting point."

Tom looked at me and laughed. But I could clearly see the fear evident in his eyes. Acting cool, are we?

I gestured Xavier to give me my gun not wanting to deal with him anymore. Guess he will be recieving an easy death. I'm not really in the mood to get blood on my clothes right now. Especially not his blood.

"Any last wish?" I asked rolling my gun in my hand.
He gave me a confused look.
"I-

I pulled the trigger at him before he could utter another word.
I took the knife Xavier was holding, waiting for me to take it from him.

I went to Tom's lifeless body and carved a cross on his chest as a symbol.
"Every person who dares to mess with us or stab us in the back will receive the same fate.
Send the body to papà."

I took one last look at the cross I just made on his chest and left the building. Just when I was about to get inside my car, my phone rang. I got inside the car and pulled it out of my pocket to see my brother calling me. He must've gotten him into trouble. I picked it up and waited for him to speak.
"Adrian, please come quickly." He sobbed badly.
"I-I..killed a FBI agent."
I stayed silent for a while and replied,
"Where are you?"

I went to the location Arnald sent me. It was a dark alley. I found a few drunkards drinking and smoking.

I knew Arnald was going to get into trouble. But didn't expect him to kill a FIB agent.

I got down from the car to see Arnald sitting on the ground while burying his face in his hands. As soon as he sensed my presence he got up from the ground and hugged me. He smelled like he hasn't showered for days.

I moved him from me to see two bodies lying on the ground. One is of the girl who my brother was stalking and the another one was of an older man who was prolly in his late 40's. He was wearing his uniform.
So Arnald did really kill a FBI agent.

"Who is he?" I asked Xavier while staring at that man's dead body.
"He is Derek Marquez. He has been investigating on us for a while now. But failed to collect any strong evidence against us. But I don't know how he knows that girl Anna. He has a 18 year old daughter and a 8 year old son. His wife died a few years ago."

So he is the only means of his family? I can disappear Anna' body like she never existed in this world. But I had to do something about this man. I looked at my brother to see him staring at the ground with his head hung low.

"Why did you kill him?" I asked him coldly.
"He saw me with her." I raised an eyebrow at him.

He sobbed and continued, "That girl Anna, Adrian, I genuinely liked her. I did. I wanted us to be together. I told her that I'll bear the expenses of her mother's treatment. I even told her that she won't have to work there anymore but she wouldn't listen. She always behaved rudely with me. I swear I didn't intend to kill her but I lost it when she slapped me and insulted me. So I blinded in anger took out my gun and sho-t her. When I realized what I did it was too late and that officer saw me shooting her. He was a witness. He told me to surrender. I didn't know what to do. So I first pretended to surrender and then slyly picked up a rock from the ground and threw it at him. I would have left him alone Adrian. I swear but he was the only living who saw me killing her. I didn't know what to do. So when he sat on the ground while holding his head I strangled him until he couldn't breath anymore."

I don't know If I should be proud of him or should I kill him.

He kneeled on the ground in front of me and begged, "Please don't tell papà Adrian! Please! He will skin me alive. I promise I'll do whatever you will say from now on. Spare me this time, please."

I grabbed his jaw squishing it painfully in my right hand and said, "You do know the rule, don't you? No mercy, remember?"
He winced in pain and cried. I let go of him and looked the other way in frustration. I guess I did have emotions.
"Inject some drugs inside his body and clean his wound. Make it look like he was on drugs and didn't know what he was doing and got himself into an accident."
"What about-
I cut Xavier off and said,

"Dispose her body and make it look like she never existed."