Chapter 18

Redpaw and the taller she-cat faced each other, growling for a moment, before the third apprentice interrupted them.

"Redpaw!" The cat exclaimed.

Redpaw blinked as he recognized the voice. "Slatepaw!" He meowed as the black tom ran over, purring.

"You know him?" The taller she-cat asked, fur relaxing.

"Yeah, I met him at gatherings, he's no threat." Slatepaw meowed. "Those are Thunderclan's kits, right?"

"Yeah, they are," Redpaw meowed.

"This is Eveningpaw," Slatepaw motioned to the tall she-cat. "And Squeakpaw," He motioned to the white she-cat, who nodded in a greeting.

Eveningpaw growled, standing in front of Squeakpaw to shield her. "I don't trust him." She hissed, glaring at Redpaw.

"He's no threat," Slatepaw insisted.

"I don't know him, he could be dangerous, and I can't let anything happen to Squeakpaw," Eveningpaw hissed.

Squeakpaw touched her tail to Eveningpaw's shoulder. "It's ok, Eveningpaw, if Slatepaw trusts him, we should, too. And besides, he's just getting his clan's kits back." She meowed.

Eveningpaw's gaze softened when she looked at Squeakpaw. "Alright, but I'm keeping an eye on him." Eveningpaw meowed, retreating to sit beside Squeakpaw, curling her tail around the white cat.

"So why did your clan take the kits?" Redpaw asked Slatepaw.

"Shellstar isn't a very good leader, he's evil and told Clawtrail to steal the kits, she's his most loyal warrior and took them. Shellstar wanted more cats. Shellstar is horrible, killed out old deputy for defying him." Slatepaw sighed, looking down.

"Oh, I see," Redpaw meowed.

"Well, there's a battle going on at camp-" Redpaw started.

"We know. We're not there because I don't want Squeakpaw getting hurt over some Thunderclan kits. And Slatepaw came with us." Eveningpaw meowed.

"Oh," Redpaw meowed.

"Redpaw?" Speckkit spoke up. "Are we going home?"

"Yeah, Who are these cats? Why aren't we going home?" Flipkit asked.

"We'll be going home in a moment," Redpaw meowed.

"I guess we should go help in battle," Slatepaw meowed. "Get it finished sooner so the kits and Redpaw can go home."

"Yeah, I guess we should." Eveningpaw meowed.

"Slatepaw, you stay here and take care of the kits until the battle's finished," Redpaw meowed, handing Slatepaw the two kits.

"Ok, I'll tend their wounds, too," Slatepaw meowed, sniffing at the kit's fur.

"Squeakpaw should also stay," Eveningpaw meowed.

"No, I'll come and help," Squeakpaw meowed.

"But-" Eveningpaw started.

"It's fine, Eveningpaw, I can take care of myself," Squeakpaw meowed, touching her nose to Eveningpaw's shoulder.

Eveningpaw sighed, pausing for a moment to think. "Alright." She meowed at last.

Redpaw crouched down to the kits. "Hey, kits, this is Slatepaw, he's a very kind Riverclan cat who's going to take care of you for a little while, then I'll come back and take you home. Slatepaw will heal your wounds, he won't hurt you," He meowed.

"O- ok," Speckkit meowed, stepping closer to Flipkit.

"Come on, we should get going," Eveningpaw meowed, standing up.

Redpaw, Eveningpaw, and Squeakpaw all ran back across Riverclan territory and plunged into camp, where the battle still raged.