God, why would Armani send me underwear?

“I'll get going now, Miss Lee. Thanks for the candles.”

I nod, not trusting myself to speak. The minute she's out, I get up and walk over to lock the door before returning to the package. I peek beneath the tissue paper again and there's a little envelope tucked inside. I take out the note and read it.

Hey Angel,
These made me think of you. Just promise me one thing. No wearing them in the ring at an MMA fight. These are for my eyes only.
Your soon-to-be husband

Soon to be husband?

Oh my God.

He was kidding, right? He had to be kidding.

This must be his idea of a joke.

Fine. I could take a joke. But this also meant I had to call him. With my heart beating uncomfortably hard, I call his phone. When he doesn't answer three times, I call his office.

“Reid Dalton’s office. This is Sloane.”

“Hi, Sloane. This is Lee.”

“Well hello there, ma'am. I was expecting your call.”

I arch a brow.

“You were?”

“Certainly. What works better for you, lunch or dinner?”

“I'm sorry?”

“I assume you’re calling to set up a... date with your fiancée?”

A date?

“Oh, no, not a date.”

She chuckles.

“Yeah try telling him that.”

What was that supposed to mean?

“I don’t think you understand me, Sloane. I've been trying to call your boss but he's not answering. I called because I want to speak with him.”

“Oh. Well, Mr. Dalton isn't available right now. But he did tell me to expect your call and to ask whether you’d like to have lunch or dinner with him.”

Armani...

I sigh.

“I don’t think I can get away for lunch today.”

“So, dinner then?”

“Yeah, that works.”

“Great. Do you have any place in mind? I'll go ahead and book you two.”

“Home, Sloane. Please and thank you.”

“Oh. Okay. I'll let Mr. Dalton know as soon as he comes back.”

Back from where?

I simply nod.

“Hey but could you tell him to call me back when he—”

“Enjoy your day!”

And that is that.

With another deep breath, I hung up the phone, and then put the lid back on the box. I attempt to tuck it under my desk but I conclude on getting it out of the bakery completely. I didn’t want to accidentally knock it over and have the contents spill out.

So I finish up my work for the day and take an early leave.

Someone has to get an early start on dinner.

✯✯✯✯✯✯

I turn down the volume for The Voice when I hear a car pull up in front of the house.