Chapter 46

✿ Aileen's POV

I shake my head.

“I can't believe you talked me out of putting that old hag in her place,” I say from the recliner as Hernan walks out of the house to the poolside

He sighs and pushes his sunglasses to the top of his head.

“You'll thank me later.”

I doubt it

“Is she gone?”

He shakes his head and looks down at me.

“She said she's not leaving until she speaks to her son.”

God.

I sit up and Hernan arches a brow at me.

“And where are you going?”

“To make her leave obviously” I frown, standing up.

“No, you're not” he stops me by taking hold of my forearm.

I groan and twist my arm from his grasp. Then I begin to pace.

“Why the hell not?!”

He sighs and scrubs a hand over his face.

“Look, Lee...” he glances at the house, “I can't let you hit her. It's a miracle she hasn't called the cops on you for ruining her jewelry. If I allowed you to hit her, you'd be in jail by now.”

“Well next time let me hit her” I frown, “Then you can bail me out later.”

“Lee.”

I shake my head.

“I refuse to let her have the last laugh, Hernan. No, no, no.”

He sighs for the umpteenth time.

“Just calm down and sit, okay? Take a swim if you want to. Just relax.”

I stop pacing and round on him.

“How are you so calm?” I ask, “She called you by the wrong name... twice!”

Hernan chuckles.

“Well, at least this time she got the first letters right. One time she called me Joaquin.”

Unbelievable.

I sigh.

“Don't let her get to you, Lee. If she sees that, then the more she'll do it. Just ignore her.”

I bob my head.

“Fine. But I promise you, if I hear one more negative word about my parents from her mouth, I swear to God, I'll—”

Suddenly the door that leads to the poolside opens and I turn to look so fast that I manage to lose my balance. My foot slips on something and I feel myself fall for about three seconds until firm arms wrap around my waist. With my head about two inches from the pool, I look up at the sliding door. Through my upside-down vision, I see Reid standing there, looking confused.

“What are you two doing?” he asks.

In a swift motion, Hernan helps me straighten out my back. My head spins for a second and I hold onto his arm.

“You're home.”

He narrows his eyes.

“What are you two doing?” he repeats, his jaw tensing.

“Look, before you get mad, I want you to know that I'm not sorry. I couldn't help it.”

“Help what? Fooling around with my best friend while I was at work?” he snaps.