Chapter 28

✿ Aileen's POV

“I've known you for just a few weeks and our paths won't cross when Anika finally dumps that Aussie in less than a month. Why exactly should I know or care how well you handle your liquor?!”

His voice rings in my ears as I mix in the melted wax with a few drops of eucalyptus and stir.

Was I unfair to him? And why did he get so mad?

I scratch my arm and set the mold to pour my last candle wax in.

I should find him and speak to him... clear out all misunderstandings before the party.

“Hello!” Sophie, Bonita, and Tracy greet in unison, filling into the back of my office where I make my candles.

I look up at them from my mold in suspicion.

“Hi?”

“Are you avoiding us, Lee?” Tracy asks, sliding her sunglasses down a little.

“Avoiding you? Why would I avoid you?”

“Well, then what are you doing here?” Bonnie asks.

I shrug.

“I couldn't sleep. And I also have a few orders of holiday candles so I thought I should get it started since I have time.”

Sophie picks up one drying wax and sniffs it before reading the label.

“Ouu forest pine. Can you make me some, Lee? And lavender.”

“Fifi, you're losing focus” Tracy nudges her.

“Right, right” She sets the candle back down and puts on her game face. “It's your engagement party today, Lee. You're supposed to be getting dolled up, not working.”

“Relax, I have time to do all that.”

“It's two-thirty Lee” Bonnie deadpans, “And I know you don't even know what to wear.”

Two-thirty? And she was right. I didn't have what to wear in mind.

Shit!

I undo my apron and Tracy hands me my purse with a smug smile.

“We'll clean up for you.”

“Thanks, Bon” I tell her.

“Drive safe!” Sophie calls out after me.

I make it back to the house in record time, strip and take a shower, attack myself with decent makeup, and rummage through my clothes for a dress.

“No,” I say, tossing one aside. “No. Also no. No” I throw another down.

I'm about to pick up a long red gown shimmering in the low lights when the yellow dress Reid got me catches my eye. I pick it up, move to the mirror, and hold it against my body.

It's all fake anyway. And like he said, in less than a month when Anika's fiancé is gone, I will be too.

“There's no use in putting all your efforts into this Lee. It'll all be for nothing” I mutter.

I toss the dress on the bed and swap the bra I have on with a strapless one. Then I put the dress on and zip myself up. Putting my hair in a maiden braid, I slip into some shoes and pick up my purse just in time to hear a honk.

Reid.

I turn off the lights in the bedroom and hurry outside the house, making sure to lock the front door. Reid doesn't look at me even when I get in his car.