Chapter 31

✿ Aileen's POV

I toss back a glass of wine and pour myself some more just as a figure slips beside me.

“Wow, and I thought you said you weren't a wine girl.”

“I'm not in the mood for whatever this is Anika. Go away.”

I swallow everything in my glass. She chuckles.

“Way to show that wine who's boss.”

I sigh and turn to her with a bored expression.

“Go away.”

“Aww, trouble in paradise after that Oscar-winning performance?”

I roll my eyes and pick up the bottle of wine and my glass.

“Fine, I'll leave.”

I turn away from her only to hear her footsteps come after me.

“Hey, I'm not done talking to you.”

“Well, I am” I call out, glancing behind me a bit.

In that moment someone bumps into me, spilling the rest of the wine in my glass on my dress.

“No!” I exclaim, dropping the wine bottle in my hand.

Oopsie.”

My eyes fall on the strawberry blonde-haired girl and I know it's not an accident.

“Are you drunk? Because it's clear from yesterday's lunch that it runs in your wretched family” she smiles.

My befitting reply is interrupted by Asha rushing up to me.

“Lee, what happened?”

“She spilled her wine all over herself” Maeve quickly replies.

“Poor thing can't even handle a wine glass right” Anika adds with a dramatic sigh.

My jaw ticks.

“It's okay. Lee, come with me. I'll help you fetch it out.”

“Yeah okay, Reid got me this dress and I don't want it to get ruined” I say.

“Oh, I'm sure he'll understand and forgive you for being a clutz” Anika smiles. “He seems to never have a problem with you.”

You little—

“I think you better hurry or else it'll become a permanent stain” Maeve cuts my internal outburst short.

“C'mon,” Asha says, leading me away from them. “We'll get it out in no time okay?”

I nod, dapping the stain on my dress with a napkin in the meantime. I'm about to take the turn to exit the garden when Sophie's sob reaches my ears. I stop abruptly and turn around.

“Fifi?” I call out.

“Excuse me?” Asha asks, turning to me.

I step back into the garden.

“Lee, what's wrong?”

“I thought I heard my best friend's—”

It comes again and I find myself moving in the direction of the loud sobs.

“Sophie?” I call out.

Asha starts to come after me but stops.

“Sophie? Are you around here?” I call again. “I can hear you.”

All hear are sniffs.

“Sophie—”

I stop short when I spot her seated on the grass in a secluded part of the garden, wet tissues scattered around her and her eyes red and puffy.