Chapter 27

✿ Aileen's POV

“Your ex proposed?” Reid’s eyes are darker than usual.

I never mentioned to him that I had an ex or that I broke up with him almost six years ago. I didn't think it was relevant.

He probably thinks I'm such a liar.

So yes. I have dated before and I do have an ex who proposed. But we didn't part ways amicably. Eugene asked me to marry him. I declined. He cried.

After I broke his heart, I stopped serious dating. It wasn’t fair to lead men on if I wasn’t ready for commitment.

“Yet you’re getting married to your boss”, the small voice in my head whispers.

“This is different,” I whisper back.

There are no preconceived notions or expectations in this one. I’m simply doing this to help Reid achieve his goal, and once he does, I can move on to mine.

“That’s what you’ll be saying for years.”

“Poor man rented out a nice restaurant and everything for the occasion,” Tracy continues.

“Ring in a glass of champagne?” Reid asks.

Tracy nods.

“Oh, yes. Lee nearly choked on it.”

I shoot her a withering glare.

“Rose petals on the table?” Reid asks again.

“Yes!” Tracy shouts. “Red. Her favorite... like the ones you tried to serenade her with yesterday.”

Waste of a perfectly good plant.

At least I beat him with it.

“Sounds like everything you love” Reid’s gaze captures mine.

Is he...?

“I wonder what went wrong” his eyes shift back to Tracy.

“I guess he wasn’t good enough if Lee over here flat-out rejected him,” Asha replies.

“How unfortunate,” Reid’s tone says everything words can’t.

“Unfortunate indeed” Anika raises her glass in Reid’s direction. “Imagine if she had said yes.”

“With that kind of generic proposal, it’s a shocker that she didn’t” he takes a sip of water.

Is he mad at me?

“Is now a good moment to tell you about the time Lee set a church on fire, Reid?” Tracy grins after a while.

“I can’t wait to hear about this one” Reid doesn’t even try to hide the displeasure in his voice.

I sigh.

Just when I thought the night was finally over.

✯✯✯✯✯✯

✿ Reid’s POV

“I approve,” Asha says as I hand her her purse.

I smile.

“You better after all the emotional trauma you put me through.”

She chuckles.

“I hope she can forgive me for the French lady trick though. I can't tell if she's mad or not. But I’m pretty sure she is... a little.”

I chuckle.

“Lee isn't mad at you. Trust me, she's got the most tolerable heart. She's not mad.”

Asha sighs happily.