Chapter 39

✿ Aileen's POV

The next time I wake up, sunlight is streaming across my face and a pleasant weight across my stomach. Reid's arms are wrapped around me from behind, his body perfectly fitting against mine.

He must have gotten cold during the night. He's sick. It doesn't mean anything.

But no matter how many times I repeat those words in my head, I can't bring myself to pull away.

When he lets go, I'll leave. Only when he doesn't need me to help him out anymore.

But not a second before.

✯✯✯✯✯✯

A smile drapes across my face as I hang up the phone.

Marking my territory.

I turn away from the large windows in time to see Reid stepping into the kitchen.

“Morning” I smile, “I just saw the most beautiful doe outside.”

When he doesn't reply I make a face at myself.

“What's wrong? Do you have a fever again?” I ask, already walking up to him.

He waves me down and I stop.

“Ookay?” I chortle, waving in the direction of the coffeepot. “There's coffee if you'd like some.”

He makes a beeline for the pot and pours himself a big full mug.

“Hey, you okay?” I find myself still asking.

Slouched over the steaming mug in the kitchen, he grunts a reply.

“Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?” I tease.

He did cross boundaries.

He glances at me with bleary eyes and gulps down his coffee like it's tequila after a hard day. I shake my head and maneuver toward the fruit juice, giving him a wide berth. Humming under my breath, I search the cupboards for a glass.

“I'll be going out later. Do you want anything?”

He shrugs.

“If I do though, I'll go get it.”

I jut out a hip.

“You wanna go out today?” I study his hunched form. “More importantly, are you even capable of it? You can’t seem to hold a civilized conversation, much less drive a motorized vehicle.”

“For the love of God, Freshie. It’s not even nine,” he grumbles.

His eyes drop back to his mug as though his outburst had taken too much out of him.

Alright, grumpy.

I hide my troubled expression under the awning of my lashes and silently do my own thing.

“Damn it” Reid’s cussing two seconds later.

I look at him as he rakes his fingers through his hair. By the remorse on his face, he’d probably misread my expression and thought he’d hurt my feelings.

“I didn’t mean to sound like that, Lee. Sorry. I promise to be better behaved once I finish my coffee.”

“It’s fine” I wave aside his apology, pouring myself some juice and topping his coffee off as well. “It’s gorgeous outside. I’m going to drink this out on the porch.”

Surprisingly, he follows me outside and settles his six-foot-three-ish frame into the yellow-and-white chaise. Sinking into its twin, I sigh and soak in the vast otherworldly hills spread out before us.