THE LOVERS (Pt.-3)

Recap-

'Your mother has some reservations about this proposal...' he hesitated, his tone grave.....

Now Continuing-

'Though the four princes are individually exceedingly suitable for each one of you, mylittle princesses, your mother is not too keen on the idea of four sisters marrying into the same family of four brothers. Her argument is that it would complicate the personal equation between you sisters, or your husbands respectively.'

Urmila suddenly recalled Lakshman's sardonic accusation that she had been ready to kill him for her sister and understood what her mother was worried about. Urmila knew her mother was not a woman controlled by sentiments; she was sensible even in the most trying moments of crisis. And right now, she was able to register her mother's gnawing misgivings. Sita was not convinced though.

'Ma, what could be better than us sisters getting married into the same family?' shequestioned.'That means we shall always be together— as sisters and sisters-in-law. What I had been dreading the most has been wonderfully averted! I shall not have to leave my sisters for my new family.Oh Ma, the most wrenching moment for any daughter on her wedding day is to say farewell to her parents and her home — to be separated from them forever. If I can take my sisters with me I would consider myself the luckiest of all girls ! The thought of leaving you and father is breaking my heart...'

she stopped, her voice tremulous. 'How could our staying together harm us? Will marriage lessen our love for each other? No, Ma, it shall strengthen it further, as no one knows us better. We love each other too much for anything or anyone to come between us.'

'And your husbands?' Sunaina asked sharply. 'If such a situation arises, and it willhappen someday, sometime— before any one of you, where you are cornered into choosing between your husband and your sister, whom would you choose, dear?'

Sita looked perplexed. 'But why would it happen? My love for my sisters and my love for my husband would never clash, for, besides myself, both of them realize how deeply we feel for each other. Both would know that I love them unconditionally and both would think twice before causing such hurt. They would, rather, try to avoid such a crisis—something I can be assured of from my sister but not from a stranger sister-in law. Oh Ma, having a sister for a sister-in-law is a boon ! Don't ever worry about us. We shall look after each other beautifully, I assure you, I promise you!'

Sunaina smiled.'I don't need your promise, dear. I am not doubting the affection you have for each other. It is the other way round. Will you be fair on your sister or  your husband as the situation demands, or worse, will you be able to be fair on yourself for having to make that difficult choice?'

'Don't make it sound so ominous, Ma!' cried Sita. 'You are postulating a sequence of events which might or might not happen. I am confident they won't; we won't let it happen, shan't we, Urmi? Oh Urmi, say something!' she begged.

Urmila found herself at a loss of words. Shewanted to say so much, her heart stirring with an uneasy intensity but sherealized she agreed with both of them. Like Sita, she was certain of their lovefor each. But she could she drive away that unspoken fear that her mother wasspeaking of. Was this just their optimistic idealism speaking and would it holdtrue for the men? Would the brothers stand for each other andignore their wives or they be swayed by their love for their wives?The brothers collectively epitomised a transcendental bonding; would thesisters, as their wives, introduce anew polarity of authority and power? Just a few days ago, she had been put to test on the choiceshe would make. And unthinkingly, blindly, she had opted for Sita, notbelieving or trusting Lakshman. In one insane moment, she had believed the worstof him and within that decisive second, her love for him had evaporated intohatred, which had not hesitated to kill him with his own dagger. In thoseterrible moments, Urmila had experienced the dilemma which her mother was sofearful about, and like her mother,Urmila did not like what it portended

'What is to happen, shall unfold,' she sighed. 'Without intention, we are powerless in directing or determining what is to come. But in the present, let's not analyse and doubt the intensity of our love. I simply pray that we have the strength and convictions to make the right choice were such a situation forced upon us. And if it does, let us be brave enough to face the consequences!'

Her mother gave her a strange look, but Urmila also detected a trace of sadness which she found disconcerting. 'I am trying to warn you of what might await you, as a mother and above all, as a woman who has seen quite a few relationships change colour and conviction,' remarked Sunaina dryly. 

'I know you well, girls. You are sensitive and sensible and I am so proud of you! I know you shall be strong enough to take the right decision and know how to live, and love.'

But for all her brave words, Urmila was not too sure about the terms their future would dictate on her and her sisters.

TO BE CONTINUED-~

Please do vote comment  and follow my account ! 

JAY SIYA RAM !