THE TWO PRINCES Pt-2

That morning was not their usual morning. Sita, who had been unusually silent duringthe past few days, was late in returning from the temple. Her cousins had gone off tohelp her mother in the wedding preparations. And instead of joining them, Urmila waswaiting for Sita to return. Where was she, Urmila could not stop fretting. She wasn't inthe kitchen, her favourite haunt, Urmila had checked. A full two hours later, the otherwise splendidly calm and collected Sita entered the room, her usually pale face ashen. She looked visibly flustered and was making it worse by trying to hide it.

'Why are you late?' grumbled Urmila, 'I have been waiting for you when I amsupposed to help Mother with the jewellery and Father in compiling his texts for the visiting rishis. Where had you disappeared...' Urmila's indignation trailed off when she realized her sister was barely paying attention to her. Urmila watched her roaming around the room restlessly till she could not take it anymore. She got up and took Sita's hands in hers. They were cold and trembling.

'What is it?' she asked gently. 'You haven't been yourself lately. I noticed it butdecided to let you be till you thought it right to disclose. Is there anything? What tookyou so long?. Sita did not answer immediately but looked at Urmila with the wide, frightened eyes of a trapped doe.'What's wrong?' Urmila repeated, her sister's fear was beginning to affect her too, but she refused to panic.'I just met him again...!' blurted Sita, with an uncharacteristic fumble. Urmila stared back at her vacantly, not comprehending her words. Sita made another effort to explain.

'I just met Ram, the prince of Ayodhya, in the garden. And his brother Lakshman,' she added hastily. 'And?' Urmila pressed kindly. Sita blushed prettily, and profusely. The otherwise eloquent Sita, who could smartly retort with lucid clarifications or recite a quick couplet of poetry, seemed to be at a loss for the right words. All she did was play with her fingers. She needn't have explained. Urmila took a quick, informed guess. And measuring Sita's altering expressions and emotions, Urmila felt a huge sense of relief, and delayed delight. Had Sita finally met her man?

'It's so extreme,' said Sita with a sigh. 'It happened three days ago. I was on my wayto the Gauri temple as I always do every morning — and imagine my shock when I saw him...er them, standing right before me in the garden. I was in my own world, dreaming as usual, and almost walked into them!' she laughed self-consciously.Responding t o Urmila's enquiring look, she rushed quickly, 'They bowed and introduced themselves and said they were collecting flowers for the puja to be performed by Rishi Vishwamitra...'

Urmila did not interrupt but allowed her sister the luxury of time in explaining the most heart-stirring episode of her life which seemed to have whipped up such an emotional upheaval in her.

'...And all I could do was stare at him and finally I nodded politely and fled without saying a word!' . 'Sita,' wailed Urmila, in mock despair, 'you didn't!'.'Oh that's why I am feeling so foolish now. What must he have thought of me? Some wide-eyed idiot who didn't have the etiquettes befitting a princess!' Sita groaned in self admonishment.

'A wide- eyed, lovelorn idiot,' Urmila corrected teasingly. 'Don't!' Sita begged. 'I have never felt so utterly stupid and incompetent before! And how did you guess it was love?' she demanded indignantly. 'Here I am trying to assimilate my feelings and there you go, already jumping to this ridiculous conclusion!'.

Urmila remained silent, her smile encouraging Sita to divulge further. 'Oh Urmila, what do I do? Idon't seem to be able to understand anything for the past three days!' she said, in open bewilderment. 'I saw him again today and I ran from there and have been sitting on the verandah steps for an hour trying to catch my breath and get back to my senses. I can't seem to think straight. There was a strange, strong pull I felt for him which I simply could not wish away. It was magnetic, mesmerizing... It is a spell I can't seem to break off!' she cried as if in pain but there was a serene glow about her, the first flare of love shining in her eyes, lighting up her face.It took Urmila's breath away. She could merely stare in amazement at the plight of her sister. Could one meeting be so potent? So completely overwhelming? So irresistible, overpowering and devastating?