THE LOVERS (Pt.-2 )

Recap- 

After the swayamvar, Ram had settled in beautifully with the family, his charm disarming, his affection infectious. In an odd way, Urmila found both her elder sister and Ram incredibly alike. A single definition could well describe them both. They were both good-natured, friendly, and always cheerful. Their love was true and unhampered by false pride and self-importance. Urmila watched fondly as she saw them smiling,chatting and laughing together.....

Now continuing - 

Were she and Lakshman also alike in temperament just like Ram and Sita? Sita's gentle spirit enhanced, by contrast, Urmila's fiery, contentious nature and Urmila recognized a similar parallel between these brothers as well—Ram's eager friendliness and good nature counterbalanced Lakshman's stiff hauteur. 

Mercifully, Ram and Sita were spared the common affliction that both she and Lakshman suffered and shared—the prickly egotism that stopped them from expressing their feelings for each other.

She was always very physically aware of his presence around her— his voice, his searing looks and his scent—even when he was standing a far distance away, cold, aloof and stern-faced. It left her with a cold anxiety; had she, after all, just imagined all that was said and unsaid through those deep, unfathomable silences? 

Were those torrid, stifling looks that left her breathless merely a fabrication of her fervid mind?She saw him chatting with his brother a little distance away near the deserted pathway leading to the woods. He threw back his head and laughed. It was a rare, delicious sight.

He had a nice laugh. And a nice, strong neck. Urmila had attempted desperately for some civil conversation but each time he had firmly thrust her away. She did not know whether to feel amused or affronted.

She approached him slowly. He was alone again, Ram leaving his brother's company for Sita's. Pursing her lips in slight displeasure, she politely handed him a cool glass oflemonade and played the good host. 

He took the glass and their hands touched; she felt a jolt of hot pleasure and withdrew her trembling hands but he held on, looking steadily into her eyes. Surprisingly, it calmed her and she could say what she had been meaning to tell him since the day of the swayamvar. She had yet not thanked him for rescuing her that day. 

'I cannot thank you enough...' she said, trying to break the ice, '... for what you did. Had it not been for you, the angry suitors would have reacted even more violently. I shudder to think what might have happened...'

'I didn't do much — I was just letting them know that they were depriving my brother of the chance he was entitled to,' Lakshman cut her off curtly. 'And if it is about showing gratitude, I guess I am obliged to do the same. Princess, your ingenuousness managed to avert a bloody confrontation between me and the great Parshuram. You saved me from his terrible wrath and I am still alive today. You saved my life and I am eternally indebted!'

he drawled languidly, in a pompous, self -aggrandizing manner. He did not seem either gracious or grateful and Urmila felt illogically hurt. She saw him bowing to her exaggeratedly and sauntering away, rudely cutting off any further conversation.

What was wrong with him? Or had she drawn the wrong conclusion? Was he deliberately infuriating her or was he simply insufferable? Urmila despaired how she could have fallen in love with such a person. She could not fathom his contradictory behaviour. Did he love her? He made her believe so, making feverish love to her with his eyes in those rare, precious moments. 

She could not forget that glimpse of his tortured face at the swayamvar, his emotions naked to her, or his jealous fury when Ravan had insulted her with his lewd stare. 

She remembered how he had rushed to her aid when she was threatened by the enraged princes. Was this not love, she sighed. Then why did he insist on being surly? Did she remind him of his folly? Was he a reluctant man in love?

With these all thoughts that were running in her mind she walked back...confused....

To be Continued...

So that's it for today ! hope you all liked the chapter 

I hope Ram Lalla's homecoming after 500 years must have filled you guys with joy and happiness !!

Next chapter will be updated as soon as this chapter gets 3+ comments ( I hope you guys complete this target soon )

Meet you in the next chapter till then ..

JAY SIYA RAM !!!