THE LOVERS

Recap~

She remembered how he had rushed to her aid when she was threatened by the enraged princes. Was this not love, she sighed. Then why did he insist on being surly? Did she remind him of his folly? Was he a reluctant man in love?

With these all thoughts that were running in her mind she walked back...confused....

Now Continuing ~

The very next morning, she was to again question her irrational fascination for this enigma of a man. It was time to go for the daily puja at the Gauri temple and Sita was late. It was uncharacteristic of her elder sister to keep anyone waiting and Urmila decided to check her chamber. The bed was neatly made and Sita was not there. Urmila decided to ask the cousins if they had seen her. They were nowhere to be seen either.

The girls must be all together, Urmila thought. She re-confirmed with the maids and was informed that Sita had left with her handmaids for the temple. Urmila cursed herself for being late herself and quickly hurried to catch up with her sisters.

She had walked for almost a furlong and entered the denser part of the garden when she spotted Sita. She was alone and Urmila was about to call out for her when she saw Ram walking down from a distance. Walking a little ahead of him was Lakshman, his steps brisk and alert.

Suddenly she saw him pause, his right arm extended, warning Ram to stop in his tracks. She saw Lakshman swivel around, catch sight of the approaching Sita and without a moment's hesitation take aim at her and shoot her down with his arrow.

Urmila stood rooted, she could not scream; rage, fear and grief leapt at her throat.She saw Sita falling down in a bloodied heap, her hands clutching at the arrow piercing her heart. She screamed and ran toward her but Lakshman's compelling voice tried to stop her. 'Stop! Don't go near her!' she heard him shout urgently.

In agonized frenzy, she ignored his warning and continued to rush toward her wounded sister. Urmila heard the sound of running footsteps behind her and before she could whirl around, she found herself trapped by a band of powerful arms. She tried to wrench away but Lakshman was holding her down by her left arm, pressing her hardagainst him. 

'Can't you hear me?' he rasped. 'Stay away from your sister!'

Urmila watched as Sita writhed in a pool of blood—the puddle spreading fast under her body.

"You killed her! Why? Why?' she spat at him.

She saw a dagger hanging at his waist as he still grappled with her, and snatching itwith her right hand, she tried to thrust it in his neck, his shoulders, his back— anywhere she could reach and hurt him grievously to allow her to escape from his restraining grasp.

But before she could stab him, he had pinned both her wrists, forcing them down so hard,that she was forced to let go of the dagger, seeing it fall weakly from her hands, its blade glinting in the early morning rays. 

Flashing a look of unbridled fury and loathing, she found herself staring back at his darkening eyes, his craggy face barely a few inches away from hers. She could feel his hot breath on her throat; he could sense her hatred and anger.

She wanted to scream at him, but the wordless scream was stifled in her dry throat.It was full of bubbling sobs instead, the tears coursing down her face.

'She is not Sita, Mila!' she heard him say softly, almost gently, his eyes tender. Urmila's eyes widened in shock. 'It's someone else in her guise,' he whispered, his face close. She squirmed as she felt his lips move on her skin. 'And I shall let you go if you promise not to attack me again with that brandishing dagger so that I can find out who didthis,' he released her saying that, letting go of her wrists suddenly. 

Feeling strangely bereft and free from his warm hold, Urmila slowly straightened herself, her fingers rubbing her bruised wrists. She saw him stride purposefully toward the fake Sita and stood tall above the struggling body.

'Who are you?' he asked quietly, the venom in his voice deadly.

He got a gurgle for an answer. Lakshman did not wait for a reply. He smoothly shot a relentless arrow in the person's midriff. Urmila flinched as she heard a loud, agonized scream like the last, failing cry of a dying animal.

She heard fresh footsteps and looked up to see Sita dashing toward her, followed closely by her cousins. She sighed in quick relief — this was her Sita! Lakshman raised his arm high in warning, and the girls stopped running, standing close to Ram, who had been watching the spectacle mutely all this while. 

All of them were gazing down at Sita's look alike. She was still gasping for breath, struggling to resume her original form. He was a demon, a dying, desperate demon.

His last shriek had got the guards and Janak hurrying to the site as well. Janak recognized the demon and was not surprised.

'Who is he, father?' asked Urmila urgently. 'What is he doing here?'

King Janak hesitated, he was hoping to brush it off but the intense stare of several pairs of questioning eyes forced him to elucidate.'This man here is Banasur. He had sent me a message warning me against Sita's swayamvar,' he started slowly, 'then I received another message just yesterday to cancel the wedding. I guessed the demon clan did not want this marriage to happen but preferred to ignore it as a mere threat. I never could have imagined that he would come here to kidnap Sita. Or worse, kill, either Ram or Sita, or both!'

'That's a little difficult with Lakshman around!' said Ram heartily, clearly trying to ease the bleak mood. '...and as usual, my brave little younger brother saved the day for all of us!'

Janak was overwhelmed with gratitude. He turned to Lakshman and bowed to him. 'You have not just saved my daughters and my son -in-law; you have given me a new life. How would have I faced the world, my family and myself? You, young man, have averted a tragedy...and I shall be eternally indebted to you!'

Lakshman was evidently embarrassed but seeing the king overcome with feelings, he tried to reassure him. 'I did what I should have,'he said kindly, trying to assuage the king's face.'We are family now and it is our duty to look after each other,' he affirmed, bowing before the king but not before sweeping Urmila a sardonic glance. She flushed;it was her turn to look embarrassed as she mentally relived their riotous confrontation a few minutes ago. 

She had jumped to an unfair conclusion, the consequence of which could have been tragic had it not been for Lakshman's quick presence of mind and his swift decisiveness in that moment of crisis.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

PLease do comment and vote on this chapter 

And plus follow my account for more such new stories which I will update in the future :)

Target: 5+ comments ( only then I will update the next chapter ) 

Will see u guys in the next one till then ...

JAY SIYA RAM !!!