04.

04.

(Vivienne's POV)

As the enigmatic voice echoed across the street, I turned, my heart pounding with a mix of curiosity and apprehension. To my astonishment, there stood Stella, her presence a vivid reminder of a past entangled in secrets and fleeting passion. Memories of our brief encounters flashed through my mind, a whirlwind of forbidden desire and hidden truths that left a mark on my soul.

"Stella... back for another visit?" I greeted her with a polite smile, masking the tumultuous emotions that churned beneath the surface. Our connection had been a delicate dance of attraction and discretion, a fragile thread that I had severed to protect the fragile facade of my marriage.

Her response was tinged with a hint of mischief, her eyes sparkling with a knowing glint as she probed into the intricacies of my life. "It's been too long, love. How have you been?" Stella's voice held a hint of warmth, belying the complexities of our shared history.

I returned her smile, a mask of composure hiding the storm of conflicting emotions within me. "I've been well, thank you. And yourself? What brings you back to this side of the world?" My words carried a subtle undercurrent of caution, a reminder of the boundaries I had set in place long ago.

Stella's gaze lingered on me, a playful smirk playing on her lips as she ventured into dangerous territory. "You." The word hung in the air, laden with unspoken implications and veiled intentions. Her question about my marriage stirred a familiar ache in my chest, a reminder of the intricate web of lies that bound me to a man I could never truly love.

The mention of my husband's upcoming party added a layer of tension to the conversation, a subtle reminder of the delicate balance I walked between duty and desire. "Tomorrow night," I confirmed, my smile faltering slightly as I clutched my bag, the weight of unspoken truths pressing down on me. Stella's presence brought a mix of comfort and unease, a reminder of a past I had tried to bury but could never truly escape.

As the exchange drew to a close, I felt a surge of conflicting emotions wash over me, a storm of memories and desires threatening to engulf me once more. Stella's lingering gaze held a promise of secrets yet to unfold, a silent reminder of the tangled web of connections that bound us together in a dance of fate and choice. With a final nod and a strained smile, I bid her farewell, the echoes of our past lingering in the air like a haunting melody, a prelude to the storm that awaited us both.

                                      ❀

After returning home and indulging in a quick meal, my thoughts drifted to the upcoming party, my hopes for seeing Belle mingling with the dread of encountering Stella. The conflicting emotions swirling within me added a layer of complexity to my already tumultuous existence.

Settling the bag of treats on the kitchen counter alongside my coffee, I hastily prepared my meal, savoring each bite with a mix of satisfaction and preoccupation. As I hummed in delight, thoughts of tomorrow's gathering tugged at the edges of my mind, a mix of anticipation and apprehension weaving through my thoughts. The prospect of seeing Belle again stirred a flutter of excitement within me, tempered by the looming presence of Stella, a reminder of past entanglements I had tried to bury.

With a sigh of annoyance, I contemplated the potential disruption Stella's presence might bring to my search for Belle, the conflicting desires and uncertainties clouding my mind. Once I had finished my meal and tidied up, the sound of the door opening heralded Richard's return, his disheveled appearance and oblivious demeanour a stark contrast to the turmoil brewing beneath the surface.

"Have fun?" My tone carried a hint of sarcasm as I observed Richard, noting the subtle signs of his infidelity that he seemed oblivious to. The facade of my marriage strained under the weight of unspoken truths and hidden betrayals, a delicate dance of deception and restraint that I had mastered over time.