01.

01.

(Vivienne's POV)

It was a typical night, the kind where nothing felt extraordinary. Nothing did these days if I'm being completely honest. It was just an average evening for me, despite my preparing for what I considered a rather tedious party, where the prosperous gather to socialize and flaunt their wealth and engage in unexciting business propositions that only harm the world further. My husband, who was an opulent socialite, barged through my room unannounced, snaking his rough and calloused hands around my slender waist that possessed a certain alluring curve to it. He enveloped me in a tight, almost rough embrace from behind. I, who have grown used to the man, clenched my jaw lightly, showing my obvious discomfort at his touch. "Richard. Don't you have guests to please? I am yet to finish getting ready. I'll be down when I'm done." My voice suddenly cut through the unbearably uncomfortable silence, which was only filled with my husband's god-awful heavy breathing down my ear. He was leaning his cheek on the back of my shoulder casually. I sighed softly, somehow wriggling away from his tight grip.

Richard, being the spoiled excuse of a man he is, huffed heavily and navigated his way out of my room and down to the bustling crowds of guests downstairs. A breath of relief escaped my lips, one which I did not realize I was holding in. Once finished getting ready, I elegantly trod carefully down the flight of stairs, observing my husband launching himself into his grand display of wealth and supposed wit, as he led some guests to some undeniably beautiful artifacts that sat in glass cases. I made polite conversation with the other attendees to keep up appearances. Of course, they were all the same to me; unbelievably arrogant and stuck-up rich people.

"Pretentious scumbag." I muttered under my breath, eyeing his boisterous boasting. The endless conversations that comprised the same subjects wearied me, prompting me to seek a moment of respite away in the bathroom. I stood silently, listening to the rhythm of my breathing and gazing back at my reflection in the mirror. The creak of the door opening startled me momentarily as I snapped myself out of my trance. My head turned to the side of me, only to be greeted by a sight that briefly took my breath away.

I didn't even realize I was standing there and staring at her until the young lady cleared her throat gently, attempting to capture my attention, which she certainly did. I composed myself instantly, returning to my cold usual self. "Can I help you, young lady?" My voice carried an unintended chill.

The young woman, whose name I didn't seem to know. Unusual, I knew every guest that attended these parties, but not her. She was visibly different from the others because of the way she flinched at the directness of my tone.

Her height seemed to bring her up to about five feet, four inches. I must've seemed intimidating because I am around five feet, seven inches, if not reaching barely five feet eight.

"I-I'm sorry, forgive me. I had no idea anyone would be in here; I didn't mean to intrude. I was just-" She trailed off with a panicked and timid expression.

"What?" I softened my expression, noting her timid and panicked expression.

"I was just, I-I was..." The young girl struggled to find her words, looking down as she gathered her courage to speak up.

"Just say it, I won't bite, not too hard anyway." I added, trying to make the tension in the air a little bit more light-hearted, in return a soft giggle escaped the girl's lips. The girl was visibly different from all the other sycophants at the party, that was what I figured anyway.

"My name is Belle, Belle Delcour. I-It's a pleasure to meet you..." She finally managed to slightly compose herself, though the slight stammer in her soft voice was clear.