CH. 32 The Nilsen Secret

Aurora

As Kelvin's recovery progressed, I found myself torn between relief at his improving health and apprehension at the challenges facing me. With tensions still high between House Nilsen and House Fitzgilbert, the prospect of allowing Kelvin to leave Imperia and return to his estate wasn't an option.

I couldn't risk Lord Nilsen attacking Kelvin's castle and unwittingly starting a civil war, especially since he still claimed that Kelvin owed him money for not marrying his daughter Rose.

No matter how hard I tried or looked, I couldn't trace where Nilsen had sent the money. The only thing I could see on the records was that it was sent on a caravan with four men to safeguard its journey.

Marada could be reached by land; however, I would have thought that the money would have been sent by ship. It would have been faster...

"Maybe Nilsen didn't want to risk the money being lost at sea." Luca had said. "It is storm season, after all."

Something about the whole matter still seemed wrong, though, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't reconcile it in my mind.

I thought about the possibility that the money had only been delayed and probably arrived in Marada around the same time that Ramon arrived in Juvelia, so I wrote to the Baron without Kelvin's knowledge.

Dear Baron Leclair,

I trust this letter finds you well. I write to you on a matter of some urgency concerning a transaction that was to occur between Lord Nilsen and yourself, pertaining to House Fitzgilbert. It has come to my attention that there was a significant sum of money purportedly sent by Lord Nilsen to your esteemed self, intended as compensation for a matter involving his daughter's betrothal to Lord Fitzgilbert. However, because their union has been broken off I thought that I'd try to track the money so that it may be returned to Lord Nilsen. Despite diligent efforts to track this transaction, it appears that the funds have not reached your hands. Given the complexities of the situation and the delicate nature of inter-house relations, I feel compelled to seek your counsel directly. Could you kindly confirm whether any such transaction was indeed initiated by Lord Nilsen, and if so, provide any details that might shed light on its current status or whereabouts? I understand the importance of maintaining trust and transparency between our houses, especially in times of heightened tensions. Your cooperation in resolving this matter swiftly and equitably would be greatly appreciated.

With sincere regards,

Princess Aurora of Juvelia

***

A few weeks passed after I sent the letter, and nothing... I was beginning to think that the baron had snubbed me until Nigel knocked on my office door and set a handful of letters on my desk. When I saw the seal of Marada I immediately grabbed it and ripped it open.

Your Majesty,

I extend my humble regards and appreciation for your concern in this matter. I have conducted a thorough review of our records and inquiries into the transaction in question. Regrettably, I must confirm that there is no evidence to suggest that any sum of money was sent by Lord Nilsen to my administration here in Marada. It appears that the transaction you mentioned did not materialize, at least not through the channels that typically handle such matters in our city. I share your commitment to upholding integrity and clarity in our dealings between noble houses, and I stand ready to assist in any further inquiries or actions that may be necessary to address this discrepancy.