CH. 20 The Summer House

Kelvin

As the sun disappeared behind the clouds, casting a somber hue over the mansion's living room, I sat lost in thought. The silence was broken when one of the doors creaked open, revealing Rose. Surprise flickered across my features as she hurried over, her embrace urgent, her kiss fervent.

"I was so worried that you'd been killed," she exclaimed, her words rushing out in a torrent of relief. "Sir Richard uncovered the truth about the Princess's manipulation of the tour. I couldn't believe it, so I alerted the Regent. I'm just... so glad you're okay." Her embrace lingered, but I knew I couldn't delay the inevitable. With a heavy heart, I gently disentangled myself from her arms, steeling myself for the difficult conversation ahead.

"Rose," I began, my voice catching in my throat. I could see the genuine concern in her eyes, and it only made what I had to say more agonizing. "I... I don't love you."

"What?" Her commanding voice made me jump. I took a deep breath, steeling myself for her reaction.

Stop dragging it, Fitzgilbert!

 "I'm sorry, Rose, but we have no true connection. We're fundamentally different people. A marriage between us would only lead to mutual destruction."

"What?" her sharp voice echoed through the mansion.

"I'm not in love with you and I can't marry you with a good conscience knowing that." I watched as the realization dawned on her, the hurt etched into every line of her face. It was a painful truth, but I knew it was necessary for both our sakes.

Especially with my reservations about Aurora... My gaze drifted away, unwilling to meet Rose's accusing eyes. Memories of the dream Aurora and I had shared flooded my mind—the tender embrace we had shared in the dream, the silent confessions of longing. But I pushed them aside, refusing to let them cloud my judgment.

"It's the Princess, isn't it?" Rose's sharp and demanding voice sliced through the air. I hesitated, torn between honesty and the desire to shield her from further pain.

"Aurora has nothing to do with this," I replied, my voice strained with guilt.

"Don't lie to me!" Rose's words were a desperate plea, tinged with anger and betrayal.

Taking a deep breath, I began to explain, hoping to deflect her accusations. "I spoke to a priest," I confessed, the weight of my words heavy on my tongue. "I admitted that I had no feelings for you and only considered marrying you for the money. He told me that the only way to make things right would be to break up with you. Besides, your father never sent the dowry money to the Baron." Rose's eyes widened in disbelief, her voice trembling with desperation.

"Papa is an honest man! He'd never cheat you out of money; there has to be some mistake!" I shook my head, the weight of my decision settling heavily upon me. "Please, Kelvin," Rose pleaded, her voice cracking with emotion. "I love you! I'll talk to my father; perhaps it was a mistake! I—" But I couldn't bear to hear any more of her pleas. I waved my hand, cutting her off mid-sentence.

"Rose, it isn't about the money," I explained, my voice filled with remorse. "I don't want to marry you just for money. It's wrong. If I'm ever to marry a woman, I want it to be because I'm madly in love with her. We don't have that passion. I'm sorry." Turning away, I left her standing by the window, her words of protest echoing in the empty room.