CH. 31 The Lion's Judgment

Kelvin

As the battle raged on, the courtyard echoed with the clash of steel and the shouts of combatants. My sword danced in my hand as I parried blows and struck back against Morgana's soldiers, each movement fueled by a mixture of determination and desperation.

I heard my father cry out beside me as he cut down another enemy soldier with a decisive blow. My father, always the epitome of valor and strength, fought with a fervor that belied his years.

In a matter of minutes, the courtyard was cleared of enemy guards either by deadly force or surrender.

"I've got the courtyard boy. Take a few men and check the castle's interior for enemy guards. The city will be under our full control within a few hours." I gave my father a respectful nod and gestured for Petrov, and we made our way to the castle doors.

It was then that I wondered where Aurora was; she wasn't in the courtyard just now. Had she gone back to camp? For some strange reason, her absence bothered me. Maybe it was a new sixth sense I'd gained by coming back to Juvelia.

Or maybe that weird soulmate thing Ben mentioned is getting to my head.

Leading my men into the castle, we moved swiftly through the dimly lit corridors, our senses alert for any sign of danger. The tension in the air was palpable as we searched the first floor, our footsteps echoing in the empty halls.

But despite our thorough search, the nagging feeling persisted. With a furrowed brow, I realized that I couldn't ignore it any longer.

"Men, continue the search as the captain ordered; I need to check something out."

My lieutenant exchanged a puzzled glance with the others, but they nodded in acknowledgment, trusting my judgment. As they dispersed to resume their search, I made my way back through the corridors, the feeling of unease growing with each step.

As I approached the grand staircase, a shiver ran down my spine. My unease grew with each step as I ascended the grand staircase. The air felt heavy, and a strange green mist clung to the ground, swirling ominously in the dim light.

Instinct urged me to tread carefully, and as I reached the landing, I hesitated, surveying the mist with a wary eye. Something about it felt...wrong.

Without a moment's hesitation, I veered to the right, choosing the fork of the staircase bathed in shadow rather than risk stepping into the eerie mist. My heart pounded in my chest as I hurried upwards, the urgency of my movements fueled by a primal instinct to make sure the Princess was safe.

Shadows danced on the walls, casting twisted shapes that seemed to reach out for me with grasping fingers. I couldn't shake the feeling that danger lurked behind every corner, and I knew that time was of the essence.

A cry pierced the air, echoing off the stone walls. My blood ran cold as I recognized the voice—it was Aurora's. Without hesitation, I quickened my pace, my footsteps echoing loudly in the dimly lit corridor. Urgency propelled me forward, driving me to reach her side as quickly as possible.

As I rounded a corner, I stumbled upon it—Luca, Peter, and a few other men were locked in a fierce spar. Their faces were twisted with rage, and their cries sounded through the hall as their swords clashed. Aurora stood locked in a fierce battle against—Dimitri, a loyal follower of Morgana.

Anger surged within me as I watched them spar, my mind struggling to comprehend the sight before me. Dimitri once thought to be a potential ally, now stood as an enemy, aligned with Morgana and her forces.