"Because."

But he crossed his arms and repeated,

"Because?"

Not wanting to embarrass myself, I said,

"Do you want some tea?"

He just looked at me and said,

"What? Tea? I guess you're not yourself today."

Then he started to walk away. But I grabbed onto his shoulders and said,

"How about some water?"

He looked at me for a few seconds and said,

"Why are you so eager to be my wife today? What's with the water and everything?"

I quickly responded,

"Why do I have to become? I am your wife."

This time he came closer to me and said,

"Is that so?"

But before he could get any closer, I quickly said,

"I'll get you water,"

and ran to the kitchen to fetch it.

When I returned from the kitchen, Tara and his mom had come downstairs. Tara was hugging him, and Adhyaan was listening to her. Not wanting to interrupt them, I started to head back to the kitchen because I didn't want to intrude in their presence.

But Adhyaan had already noticed me and asked,

"Sejal, can you please pass me the water?"

I simply nodded and quietly went to give it to him. I was about to leave when Adhyaan said,

"Sit, where are you going?"

Not wanting to sound rude, I agreed and sat at a distance from him. Tara, his mom, and Adhyaan were discussing something while I sat there silently, unsure of what to say in between.

While Natasha also joined them and started a conversation, I was thinking about how easily Natasha could come and start a conversation, while it felt difficult for me. I guess it's because she's Tara's best friend.

While I was lost in my thoughts, Tara interrupted and said,

"By the way, Sejal, what did you get for yourself today?"

I couldn't find the words for a few minutes because it's very rare for Tara to speak to me.

Finally, I answered,

"Um, a suit?"

Tara raised her eyebrows and mockingly said,

"That's it? Nothing else? I mean, it wasn't you paying, it was my brother who was treating today. So, you could have, you know."

Even Natasha chimed in, saying,

"You're so right, Tara."

To be honest, I knew exactly what Tara wanted to say and show me with her words. She wanted to mock my status and make me feel inferior. But is it even necessary to do that? I don't mind being middle class, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

However, no matter how much we try to brush it off, when people point us out in front of everyone, it becomes humiliating. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because it reminds me that I don't belong here, and it makes me question my relationship with Adhyaan.

I was still figuring out how to respond when Adhyaan spoke up in a stern and loud voice, saying,

"She paid for herself, Tara, and I respect that. It's her choice how much she wants to spend or not. It's not your concern."